* finding people alive on a particular date

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

finding people alive on a particular date

Post by jmurphy »

In the Groups.io group which replaced the RootsWeb mailing list, a question came up about identifying all the people in a project that were alive on a certain date. The original questioner had in mind the upcoming 1921 Census. In the USA, we also have the release date for the 1950 US Federal Census as well. The discussion begins here: https://groups.io/g/family-historian/message/4489

A side discussion arose about other records sets that are associated with specific dates. In the United States, some individual states have state censuses, often on the years ending in 5. There are other non-census records sets that I mentioned, and I wanted to leave some information here for Mike and other users on the forum for reference.

But if I had to put an over-arching question on the topic, I would ask: how do you determine which tasks are better suited to custom queries and which want to be plugins?

In the USA, there are two different series of draft registration cards available on sites like Ancestry / Fold3, FamilySearch, and perhaps others. The first is the Word War 1 Draft registrations. These were associated with three different card formats and four different registration dates.

From the US National Archives website: https://www.archives.gov/research/milit ... gistration
During World War I there were three registrations. The first, on June 5, 1917, was for all men between the ages of 21 and 31. The second, on June 5, 1918, registered those who attained age 21 after June 5, 1917. (A supplemental registration was held on August 24, 1918, for those becoming 21 years old after June 5, 1918. This was included in the second registration.) The third registration was held on September 12, 1918, for men age 18 through 45.
The situation for the World War 2 Draft Registration cards is even more complicated, with seven different registration dates. Judy G. Russell summarized the dates in her blog post https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2015/0 ... -training/, from information that was on fold3:
  • First Registration – October 16, 1940: “over 16 million men between the ages of 21 and 36, registered at local draft boards around the country.”
  • Second Registration – July 1, 1941: “men who had reached the age of 21 since the first registration.”
  • Third Registration – February 16, 1942: “For men 20-21 and 35-44 years (born on or after February 17, 1897 and on or before December 31, 1921).”
  • Fourth Registration, “Old Man’s Draft” – April 27, 1942: “men who were 45 to 64 years old at the time.”
  • Fifth Registration – June 30, 1942: “Men 18-20 years.”
  • Sixth registration – December 10-31, 1942: “Men who had reached the age of 18 years after June 30, 1942.”
  • “Extra Registration” – November 16-December 31, 1943: “American men living abroad, 18-44 years old.”
There is a good deal of overlap between the WW1 Draft Registrations and the Fourth Registraton for WW2 (the "Old Man's Draft"). This registration collected information that was not necessarily for service in combat but for other tasks that might be useful for the war effort.

So the task would be, find the men in the US, of particular ages, alive during the registration periods, who might be eligible for these record sets, and then, by analogy with the Lookup Missing Census Records, find the people whose records you haven't yet found. Is it worth it to build a custom plugin, or would this be better as a custom query for eligible men, whose results the user could perhaps send to a Named List or other research plan as a checklist?

The other consderation: at what point does a record set become too small to be worth making a plugin for? The WW1 Draft registrations consist of 24,000,000 cards. Fold3's portal page for the WW2 cards gives a number of 35,673,073 records.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: finding people alive on a particular date

Post by AdrianBruce »

As a thought on work-flow... The detailed temptation here is to take the person's date of birth, work out the appropriate registration date and just look for the appropriate registration collection. However, if I think about it, that's actually being too analytic about it - I'm more likely to find candidates in any of the collections and see whether I recognize them, then, if I do, only now do I have their birth-date.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not wholly sure what my own work-flow (aka use-case) would be... And since I only have a handful of guys in the US registrations, my mileage may differ from others'.

Because of these concerns and low numbers, I'd naturally be inclined to think of simple queries of the collections, one name at a time, not even a query. If I wanted to do a bulk enquiry, the same idea would propel me to a query first.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To answer the question "Which tasks are better suited to custom queries and which want to be plugins?" hinges on the complexity of the task.

Queries
Queries focus on one particular type of record: Individual, Family, Source, Media, etc, or the special case of all Facts.
It starts to get difficult to mix data analysis from those different categories.
e.g.
With Individual records, it is quite awkward to analyse multiple Marriage events that are held in multiple Family records.
It also gets tricky to analyse any type of multi-instance facts such as Census.

With a Facts query, it is easier to handle multiple instances, but trickier to analyse the Individual owners of those Facts, especially Family facts (such as Marriage and Divorce) that have two Individual owners.

If complex algorithms are required then Queries will often struggle.
e.g.
Try to determine the Surname of women as it would appear in a Census on a particular date.
It depends on whether it is before her first Marriage or after the latest Marriage that occurred prior to the Census date.

Try to determine the country of residence of a person on a Census date by analysing their facts, especially Birth, Marriage, Emigration, Immigration and Death.

Plugins
Plugins are much more adept at handling the complexities identified above, but require a deeper understanding of computer programming concepts.

The size of the dataset is necessarily relevant. Once the basic principles are understood it can be quicker to write a custom Plugin than a Query.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jmurphy
Megastar

Post by jmurphy »

AdrianBruce wrote: 24 Dec 2021 18:31 As a thought on work-flow... The detailed temptation here is to take the person's date of birth, work out the appropriate registration date and just look for the appropriate registration collection. However, if I think about it, that's actually being too analytic about it - I'm more likely to find candidates in any of the collections and see whether I recognize them, then, if I do, only now do I have their birth-date.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not wholly sure what my own work-flow (aka use-case) would be... And since I only have a handful of guys in the US registrations, my mileage may differ from others'.

Because of these concerns and low numbers, I'd naturally be inclined to think of simple queries of the collections, one name at a time, not even a query. If I wanted to do a bulk enquiry, the same idea would propel me to a query first.
Adrian --

I forgot to mention that both the WW1 and WW2 Draft Registrations, and perhaps other records associated with the military, can be inaccurate when it comes to birth dates, because men may have fudged their age in order to join or to avoid conscription.

My experience is that one has to be careful with any records that contain both an age and date of birth because the record is often inconsistent with itself! This makes any kind of search in the record set for the birth date especially problematic.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

If complex algorithms are required then Queries will often struggle.
e.g. ... Try to determine the country of residence of a person on a Census date by analysing their facts, especially Birth, Marriage, Emigration, Immigration and Death.
Thanks Mike - that would imply to me that a bulk check of people "in" the USA against the Draft Registration collections would be better done by a plug-in because of the complexities in combining various data items together to identify those people who might be in the USA during WW1 (or WW2).
I forgot to mention that both the WW1 and WW2 Draft Registrations ... can be inaccurate when it comes to birth dates, because men may have fudged their age in order to join or to avoid conscription.
Jan - good point. Another good reason not to take existing data too literally in deciding whether someone was old enough / too old to appear in those Draft Registrations.
Adrian
jmurphy
Megastar

Post by jmurphy »

Unfortunately the US has been involved in so many wars, there are many record sets one would have to search through for records of military service. (Standard disclaimer: draft registration cards by themselves are not an indicator that someone actually served.)

Fold3 made an infographic which was posted on the Ancestry blog. https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/blog ... r-serve-in

If anyone does need to look for military records from the USA, I highly recommend dowinloading NARA's Reference Information paper 109. https://www.archives.gov/files/publicat ... rip109.pdf
Military Service Records at the National Archives, comp. by Trevor K. Plante (2009), 130 pp.
Describes military service records held at the National Archives and Records Administration. The National Archives is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard.