* plug in Export Gedcom File errors

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
awhet
Family Historian: V7

plug in Export Gedcom File errors

Post by awhet »

I am receiving errors when attempting to use the Export Gedcom File plugin for V7. I wish to import it to Ancestry and did so with the standard export but later learned that the plugin addresses issues with Ancestry imports. I followed a case on the forum for settings but evidently something is missing. I did perform a Validation without errors. There were some other steps but I have not been able to get back to them. This is my first tree and I used FH for entry of individual records (2,100), facts, notes and some limited media. Thank you. Here is the error report:

[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:3783: bad argument #2 to 'insert' (position out of bounds)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'table.insert'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:3783: in upvalue 'doInsert'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:4936: in function <[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:4930>
(...tail calls...)
[C]: in function 'string.gsub'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:8652: in local 'useRules'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:9659: in function 'ExportGedcom'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:9367: in function <[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:9357>
(...tail calls...)
[C]: in function 'iuplua.MainLoop'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:2500: in field 'ShowDialogue'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:9538: in function 'GUI_MainDialogue'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:9724: in main chunk
tatewise
Megastar

Re: plug in Export Gedcom File errors

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG. I am the plugin author. Sorry you are having that problem. It has never arisen before.

The advice about using this plugin as part of exporting to an Ancestry Family Tree is in the FHUG Knowledge Base at Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media under Export to Website Without Sensitive Data.

Also, the plugin Help & Advice button provides online advice at Export Gedcom File where there is a list of tasks to perform before running the plugin. They not only ensure you have a clean FH Project database but that rational data is exported.
They also ensure that the plugin does not encounter unexpected Project database structures.
Let me know how you get on with those tasks. Have you found any UDF that can cause problems?

Please, could you explain how you created your FH Project as that may impact its data structures?
Did you create it all by hand or was it imported from some other genealogy product?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
awhet

Post by awhet »

I used a spreadsheet program, Excel2Ged, to assemble the data which was extracted by VBA from a print source from our Reunion group. The s/s has a macro that produces the gedcom file. I started off with Roots Magic but later switched to FH, preferring its interface and ease of use. There was some prior merging as I did testing along the way with gedcom, but the current project in FH was uploaded via gedcom in a single action. After that upload however, I went through updating and correcting the individual records manually, working from the original source. This included adding notes and facts (mostly cemeteries) as it was easier than fitting into the s/s. It also included general editing and checking links. All of the names from the source have been included, many of whom did not have death dates and quite a few without birth dates.

Prior to the current attempt at transferring to Ancestry, I had produced a gedcom file without any errors. It was imported successfully to Ancestry without a problem. But that version did not contain many of the facts and notes I later added manually. I did not use the plugin for that gedcom file. I use a program, Gedscape, to review details of the gedcom files.

My main concern here is getting something out to our Reunion association so that we can generate interest in updating and filling in the blanks. Getting it to Ancestry looks like the best way to do that, but I'm stuck with this problem. I do have the ged files from the various stages of the project and also the spreadsheet source.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for that explanation of the history of the Project.

If all else fails then you can use the same method as before or use the FH File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File... command with the Destination set to Family Tree Maker.

Other online trees are also free at FindMyPast and ZoomPast.

It is probable that the plugin is encountering an unexpected Project database structure.
As I said before, the plugin Help & Advice button provides online advice at Export Gedcom File where there is a list of tasks to perform before running the plugin to ensure you have a 'clean' FH Project database.
Let me know how you get on with those tasks.

If that does not resolve the problem there are further diagnostic techniques we can apply.
awhet

Post by awhet »

Thank you! The resulting upload to Ancestry included Notes and Facts. Some of the FH descriptions were missing but that is a small matter right now. I'm pleased and relieved to know that i will be able to use FH for our build out.

This may be another thread but there are so many areas going forward in which I have no experience in the genealogy field. I saw a way to get us from analog to digital and had some experience with programming, even websites, but areas of research, collaboration, project management, etc. are not in my wheelhouse. If you or someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Art Whetstone
awhet@att.net
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, those questions are the subject of another thread.
Stay focussed on the Export Gedcom File plugin problem here and perform the list of tasks as advised.