* Find Duplicate Facts Plugin Question related to Migrate Census (family) plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
BakerJL75
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Find Duplicate Facts Plugin Question related to Migrate Census (family) plugin

Post by BakerJL75 »

I have a database imported from RootsMagic 7. I was using Census (family) facts with many of those facts having witnesses. I ran the "Migrate Census Family to Individual Events' plugin. The primary person has their own census fact. The other primary person has their own census fact. Each of those have copies of all the witnesses. For example, the original Census (family) fact had John and Jane Doe as the couple. Peter was a witness. After running 'Migrate Census FAmily to individual Events' plugin, John Doe's Census fact has Peter as a witness. Jane Doe's Census fact has Peter as a witness. So Peter ends up with 2 identical Census facts. At least I can't find any differences.

I didn't think this would be a problem because I would run the 'Find Duplicate Facts' plugin. But the plugin does not find them, even with all the criteria unchecked. I also ran Tools, Re-order out of sequence data and that did not help.

I'd appreciate any sugggstions.
Thanks,
Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Find Duplicate Facts Plugin Question related to Migrate Census (family) plugin

Post by tatewise »

The advice for Migrate Census Family to Individual Events says:
"See the Give Witnesses Their Own Facts plugin that may need to be run first."

If you had run that plugin first, then Peter and other Fact Witnesses would get their own dedicated Census Events.
The advice for Give Witnesses Their Own Facts says:
"After removing the Witnesses of Census (family) Events consider using the Migrate Census Family to Individual Events plugin."

Then Migrate Census Family to Individual Events would only create dedicated Census Events for John and Jane.

From our earlier discussions, the final step would be to add Fact Witnesses to the head of household (John) for Jane, Peter, etc.

It is important to carefully read and understand the advice provided with plugins before using them.
If you still have FH open you use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates to reverse the Plugins, or use File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot to restore an earlier GEDCOM.

Find Duplicate Facts does just that, which is quite different from Fact Witnesses.
i.e. Peter does not have two Census Event facts. He is a Fact Witness for two separate Census Event facts.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BakerJL75
Famous

Re: Find Duplicate Facts Plugin Question related to Migrate Census (family) plugin

Post by BakerJL75 »

Thanks. I tried running Give Witnesses Their Own Facts first and then Migrate Census Family to Individual Events but thought I still ended up with multiple Census facts. However, I have a backup from this morning and haven't done much so I'll try it again. It's possible the persons I looked at had other issues and I confused things.
Peter does not have two Census Event facts. He is a Fact Witness for two separate Census Event facts.
I didn't think of it that way.

I'll try again from my backup.
Thanks,
Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you run Migrate Census Family to Individual Events first, and then run Give Witnesses Their Own Facts that will give Peter two similar Census Event facts and Find Duplicate Facts should find them.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BakerJL75
Famous

Post by BakerJL75 »

That worked! Thanks a bunch.
Thanks,
Jackie