* Trim date & Place Fields Plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Trim date & Place Fields Plugin

Post by janefrances »

After using the split tree helper I'm now using the above Plugin to scale down my family tree ready for exporting at some point.

I'm a bit confused by the drop down lists for the Select Trim Place and address Fields mode for the columns, being 'delete all columns or keep last or keep last or 1, 2, 3 or 4. I've looked at the help for this but don't really understand. If I wanted the place to be just trimmed to Fulham, Middlesex which option should I choose? Many thanks.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Trim date & Place Fields Plugin

Post by tatewise »

The objective of the plugin is to "hide details so that visitors to the online tree are encouraged to contact the owner to confirm matches and obtain the details."

So the idea is that the more precise Address and Place details are removed to leave just general locations.
So if your Place field was Fulham, Middlesex, London, England the Keep last column option would just keep England
or the Keep last 2 columns option would keep London, England
i.e. the more precise location of Fulham, Middlesex is trimmed away.

The scope of the plugin does not offer to trim righthand columns as that is not removing precise details.

The Rearrange Address and Place Parts plugin may offer what you want to achieve.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Trim date & Place Fields Plugin

Post by janefrances »

Thanks for explaining that Mike, does the job :P