* Error on CSV import

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Phoenix
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Error on CSV import

Post by Phoenix »

Hello,

I am new to Family Historian and am trying to import data from a CSV file.

I installed the "Build a Tree from a CSV" plugin, but I am unable to import any names. Every time, I get the error:

[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:59:
attempt to concatenate a nil value (field 'Surname'). No changes have been made to data records.

I have even tried this with only one name entry, but the error is always exactly the same. For example, I used this:

Code: Select all

ID;Forenames;Surname;Sex;BirthDate;BirthPlace;DeathDate;DeathPlace;Mother;Father;Spouse1;Spouse2
1;Elisabeth Antonia Clementina;Aarts;F;11-11-1873;Wilrijk;;;Joanna Aarts;XXX;;
The death date & place are not yet known. But I tried to add a fictional one there, and even tried to add "none" under Spouse1 and Spouse2, but no luck. In this example, the father is unknown and is therefore currently set as XXX.

Also, how does the import determine the first and last name of the father and mother?

Thanks!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Error on CSV import

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If you check in the Plugin Store, you'll see that plugin hasn't been updated to work with V7. You could ask if there's any intention to update it (via comments on the plugin store) or somebody here (usually Mike Tate) might do the work to make it compatible, having checked first with the author that they're happy for him to work on it.
Phoenix
Gold

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks for your reply. Is there another way to make this plugin work?

Can I still install an earlier version of Family Historian on which the plugin would work?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I strongly suggest you use the Flexible CSV Importer plugin that does work in FH v5, v6 & v7.
Unlike the one you tried, it has extensive Help, worked examples, and far more features.

FYI: What you posted does not look like a valid CSV file contents because you have used semicolon separators.
A valid Comma Separated Value (CSV) file needs to use commas as separators and will open in a spreadsheet such as MS Excel with the fields in separate columns. The initial plugin message shows commas as separators.
When I replaced your semicolons with commas, the Build Tree From CSV plugin loaded your data OK in FH v7.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I should have known you had an alternative, Mike.
Phoenix
Gold

Post by Phoenix »

I tried installing V6 but there I couldn't use plugins without purchasing the software first.

So I uninstalled V6 and reinstalled V7, but now it says "You cannot activate more than one trial. There has already been a trial on this device".

In the meantime I did find the Flexible CSV Importer you suggested, but unfortunately I can't try it out now :( I wish I had found that one first!
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It’s probably worth contacting Calico Pie and explaining your situation. It would appear to be perfectly reasonable to allow you to reinstall the FH7 trial, and they can make it possible if they are willing to do so.
Mark Draper
Phoenix
Gold

Post by Phoenix »

I installed V7 on another computer again, and set up a new account with new activation code, so I can already get started on testing.

The Flexible CSV Importer plugin gets me much further, and gives no errors, but still it says 0 people and 0 families are imported :(

I changed all ; delimiters to comma. There are no other comma's in the CSV file. And I have mapped the columns (even tried with just one column of the surname).
Phoenix
Gold

Post by Phoenix »

I have, in the meantime, purchased the software so I can use it again on my regular computer. Which is much easier, and also supports the developer of the FH software. This CSV import that I am working on will probably not be finished within a month anyway :D

I am currently testing with the Flexible CSV Importer plugin, which is definitely a great tool - and I am thankful to its developer Mike for answering my questions and for being patient with me :)