* Export Gedcom File plugin options

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Export Gedcom File plugin options

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike, is there an option to NOT convert the Repository field from a Templated Source into a Repository link. (I've looked and can't see it but it may be staring me in the face).

To me, it seems odd to handle one field differently from the rest, especially when the destination for export can handle all the fields... (Or will be able to, when I write the new import routine for my Drupal site.)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Export Gedcom File plugin options

Post by tatewise »

Well, Yes & No.
On the Extra Options tab setting Source Template 1 _SRCT: to Keep Source Template will retain the Source Template and all templated Source Citation metafields in the FH format using _FIELD tags.

There was a discussion about converting the Repository metafields to generic Repository fields and I don't recall any suggestion that it should be optional, as it was felt that most other genealogy products would benefit from a generic link, but if the Keep Source Template option is not suitable then no doubt I could add another option.

What destination for export are you selecting?
If the export is for your own website being converted by Drupal then do you need the Export Gedcom File conversions at all?
Would the FH GEDCOM file work just as well?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm still working through the possibilities at this stage, Mike, but thought it would be easier to handle the metafields all in the same fashion (especially as I won't be exporting Repositories, whichever route I go).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So the Keep Source Template option should be OK as that keeps all metafields in one format, i.e. FH custom _FIELDS tag format. I guess that would be just as straightforward as handling the labelled Note text produced by the Move to Note Record option. See https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ptions-tab under Templated Source Options.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'd much rather everything was in a Note, but I'll get back to you if it becomes a problem.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Helen, I have looked at this a bit more closely.

For most metafields, the labelled Note uses the metafield name and value such as:
Author: Mike Tate
Date: 2021

I was thinking that since you won't be exporting Repository records then the export of an RP-REPOSITORY metafield could be governed by the lack of Repository records. They could be deleted before running the Export Gedcom File plugin.
The value of an RP-REPOSITORY metafield is a link, so if instead of a generic Repository link, it was exported as a labelled Note it would be such as:
Repository: @R18@

I suspect that is not what you would want, but would prefer the link to be translated to the Name of the Repository?
However, that is not possible if the Repository records do not exist. So my idea above would be unsuitable!

An alternative is for RP-REPOSITORY metafields to export as both a labelled Note with the name of the Repository AND a generic Repository link as in the current version, i.e. both formats are always exported.

Another idea is to use (-) Brief Data mode in conjunction with the Source Template: Move to Note Record option to instruct the RP-REPOSITORY metafields to be exported as labelled Notes instead of generic Repository links.

Which GEDCOM Export Mode: are you choosing for the Export Gedcom File plugin?
I also wonder why you are using this plugin at all. What is its advantage over the FH Project GEDCOM file?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike, as I said before I am just exploring the possibilities. When I have more time to spend on it, I'll get back to you if I want to request anything. I'm not a fan of stuffing ever more options into something just because 1 person asked, so I shall try to avoid that.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am about to publish an update to the Export Gedcom File plugin anyway, so thought I'd ask just in case.

Have you any general thoughts on unconditionally exporting RP-REPOSITORY metafields as both a labelled Note with the name of the Repository AND a generic Repository link. That does not involve any extra options and is easy to implement.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If that's easy to do Mike, I'd be happy to see it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That change is available in Export Gedcom File plugin review (19328).
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thank you, Mike. Will test when I've cleared my to-do list.