* Testing Plugins for V6 and V7

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
mjashby
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Testing Plugins for V6 and V7

Post by mjashby »

People seem to be unnecessarily stressed about Software Licences for previous versions of FH and I'm not sure why because I ca't see any logical reason for Calico Pie to become negatively exited by someone simply testing FH add-ons (Plug-ins) in different FH versions or even actively using two versions of the software providing they understand the potential problems.

Calico Pie simply state:

"Licence is non-transferable, perpetual. Permits up to two simultaneous device installations for personal use.*

* Subject to the terms of the End User Licence Agreement which is displayed when you install the software."

The Key word seems to be 'perpetual' as, unless the terms mentioned in any new/upgrade FH installation explicitly state that any old licence is subsumed by the installation, as Microsoft did with its 'free' Windows 10 upgrades, there is already permission for the user to install as may different licensed versions of FH as they wish for as long as they wish, providing they have no more than two active installations of each licensed version; and if they can find a way of doing so. Of course, anyone doing so also needs to have retained existing Activation Names and Codes for their old versions as new codes for FH6 and earlier are no longer available for purchase according Calico Pie (unless there are any dust gathering CD Versions on the shelves of any legitimate suppliers).

FH7 isn't, in my opinion, a 'true' software upgrade in the normally accepted sense of the word; i.e. Users with existing licences for some previous versions simply qualify for a discount of 100% or less when 'purchasing' a Version 7 licence, but there is no explicit requirement to have a previous installation on the device FH 7 is to be installed on; and there is no explicit requirement in the software license that I've seen requiring removal any previous version installation on a different device.

Virtual Machines are normally the preferred testing option for many professional software developers as well as operating system security testers/ethical hackers/network managers, unless they also need to perform specific hardware testing, as software VMs can be easily set up and re-copied (backed-up) as a clean installation making the active VMs 'throw-away' once their purpose is served or if they get corrupted by dodgy 'testing' software etc.

It's also relatively easy to separate data for FH6 and FH7 on the same data drive (if required) when using Virtual Machines/Dual Boot Systems or Wine installations as all of the settings are kept within the separate FH installations, so there is limited risk of interference. - Never say "Never". It just requires some self-discipline to point each FH installation at a different set of data files; and don't auto launch specific FH projects if you want a more belt and braces approach".

Mervyn
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

My original point exactly- there is nothing in the FH7 “upgrade” I have seen that explicitly cancels your existing FH6 license. Helen thinks it does, but is that an assumption or based on what is written in the license? You might be able to make that case for a “free” upgrade, but IMO it’s harder to demonstrate that giving a relatively small discount on FH7 cancels your FH6.

We have different opinions and interpretations, but we all seem to be violently agreeing with each other that CP are not going to commit commercial suicide by insisting that plugin authors purchase multiple licenses. The issue is more one of how to legally set up zero cost multiple licensed Windows installations on a single PC for any new plugin authors who don’t have an existing spare PC or licensed VM.
Mark Draper
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have checked with CP.

For plugin development purposes only you can install
2 Copies of FH 7
and 1 copy of FH6

What you can not do is sell your V6 licence to someone else once you have purchased an upgrade to 7. This is what the Non transferable part of the licence means.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Thanks Jane. That means Helen can give clear guidance in the KB for plugin authors. It's been an interesting discussion though, as I still can't see which part of the user agreements unambiguously cancels the FH6 licence for the original purchaser if you receive an upgrade discount. It might be CP's intention, and might even be implied by the wording of the upgrade page in the CP shop, but it's not in the agreements we accept by clicking through to the install screen.

Just put that down to me being a grumpy old pedant - as I said before, it's not an issue in any realistic use scenario once a user has upgraded and fully tested FH7 ;).
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mark, for WIW, my reading of the key elements of the licence are:

1. It's not version specific -- 'the Software' is Family Historian, not FH6 or FH7.
2.The licence is explicit that you can only install 'the Software' on 2 PCs, both for use by the same person.
3. You're not allowed to transfer any copies of 'the Software' to anyone else.

So, however you acquired a licence (new purchase or upgrade) it's 2 installations maximum (plus the plugin development exception that Jane has noted.)