* Add media URL short cut

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Add media URL short cut

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike. Many apologies.
I have used the plug in Add media URL short cut to put a link from the person's media tab to the url but if I then click on the Google chrome icon it just opens the link for me to edit the link. It does not open the remote website.
Why would this be?
And why does adding a media url to fh require you to write a plug in?
First question is whether I should be adding it to the individuals media tab or whether that tab is only for pics (not video links)
I also thought of adding it as a source record for Occupation Singer.
https://newwaveandbeyond.wordpress.com/ ... mutations/
Clearly I am doing something wrong. Possibly because this is only one of several music videos on the web page?

I also downloaded the web address and pasted it into a word document to keep it in my genealogy file. I could download the whole video (have a massive data drive on the new computer) but I am not sure how to do that. Or even if it is possible.

There is no urgency about this. I have known the link for years but was sent it again this week, and it is only because fh allows media that the topic comes up and it would be nice to put it into the tree.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Add media URL short cut

Post by tatewise »

What happens when you double-click the Google Chrome icon (or the Open in Editor/Player triangular button) depends on exactly what URL you have entered. If it is just the URL of the web page that holds the video links then that is the web page that will open. To get the video to play the URL must be the video download link URL.

It is not imperative that a plugin is required. The Media URL link can be created manually if you know what you are doing.

It does not matter which Media tab you add the URL link to. They will all behave the same way.

I guess the URL you used was https://newwaveandbeyond.wordpress.com/ ... mutations/ which is just the archive web page.

If you right-click on the Mony Mony YouTube image it offers Copy video URL which is what you need.
That will provide the YouTube URL of https://youtu.be/G8_915QtQgE that is needed by the Plugin.
That is the same as what is shown if you click the Share link.

However, it may be better to download the video so that it plays locally on your PC.
The snag is that YouTube videos are not straightforward to download like static images.
To download you need to install a free program to perform the download and convert to MP4 or MP3 video file format.
In your browser search for download youtube video to pc and there are several alternatives available.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

That is very helpful Mike thank you.
I had not understood that (like the Joe Wicks You tube exercises we follow) a you tube link to this song will lead to an initial advertisement.
But slow of me. I am sorry. Will now do this.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I have done this. I cannot click directly on the browser icon in the media pane. I need to open it and then click the arrow to play.
Is this how it should be?

I thought it would be better to link her media to the website rather than to a video file on my own computer as I may want to send it with the link to her other cousins?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is the way YouTube links work. I don't think there is a way to make it auto-play and skip adverts.

On the other hand, if you download the YouTube video so it becomes a local .MP4 file (i.e. much the same as a local .JPG file) then when you double-click on its icon it will play immediately in your local Windows Media Player or similar.
You can still include the YouTube URL in the Media Note field, or send the .MP4 file with your GEDCOM, etc.
If you put the .MP4 file in the Project Media folder along with all the .JPG files, etc, then it will be included in FH Project Backups and the whole lot sent to your relatives.

P.S.
However, I have tried downloading that Mony Mony video using VLC Media Player and failed.
The technique works for other YouTube videos, but not that one, so maybe it is protected in someway against downloads.
Perhaps somebody more familiar with the process will have better success.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

How kind of you Mike to go to that trouble for me and to explain. Thank you so much. The back history of that video and who is who may still be fraught and the singer is still living. I am content to leave it as it is.

And I have now found and added two more. Thanks you so much for this plug in.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

I was able to download that video (in four different formats, including mp4) using WinX YouTube Downloader.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)