* File statistics

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

File statistics

Post by Ron Melby »

File Name: C:\Users\USR\Documents\Family Historian Projects\FH.William.Hook\FH.William.Hook.fh_data\FH.William.Hook.ged

Record Counts...
Individual Records:6692
Family Records: 2715
Note Records: 13
Source Records: 3684
Repository Records: 21
Submitter Records: 1
Submission Records: 0
Media Records: 0
Place Records: 2155

is there a bif or something that can retrieve this directly or somehow get the count summaries directly?
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: File statistics

Post by tatewise »

No, there is no direct method in Plugins.
You must use the usual loop through all records and count each one, then repeat for every type of record.
See plugins:code_snippets:loop_through_all_record_types|> Loop Through All Record Types (code snippet) and plugins:code_snippets:loop_through_records|> Loop Through Records (code snippet) which illustrates how to count all records.
I guess you are preparing to introduce a plugins:code_snippets:progress_bar|> Progress Bar (code snippet) and need to know the number of records. I always have to use the loop count discussed above.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

Yes, I know those ones, but my plugins then run thru the records twice, all to give a more accurate count for progbar. I was hoping to not do that. guess I will investigate the wishlist.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

But the count loop is not opening the records, just counting them, so it is really very fast.
The time needed to get such statistics from elsewhere would save very little.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

OK, and I can do that.
however, I am of the school that if a system knows something, it should have an api to deliver it, efficiently and on demand. I believe for instance, that fh should deliver their DAG or whatever treegraph they use, so that I can at least read it in my code. I know some might see that as Jacobin, nevertheless, its a sign of fine and thoughtful software. If I want to make my plugins work with a pickleslicer, it should be easily interfaceable, with no question of 'Why would you want to do that?' Not a question designed to elicit understanding in furtherance of any goal.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is fine, but is it cost-effective for a tiny development team with a tiny customer base to spend time on such frills only of benefit to the even tinier band of Plugin authors, rather than features that would be of benefit to all users and win market share to guarantee the survival of the product?
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

I hear you, 6.7.2 release so far, and they can't clear right. Like on Windows 10 they have two open with screens (absolutely no idea why they need two) and one cannot be modified to remove the (who would use it anyway) always use this crap program to open this type of file (which you cannot remove easily)... small team hasn't really got the basics yet, but ... if its more than one....
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ron, you're not making sense -- can you rewrite your diatribe in English?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ron, I don't understand a word of what you are saying, but if you think FH is that bad go and use something else.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

tmp.png
tmp.png (169.41 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
on the records screen. clear.

it means set all indexes to default, insure there is nothing in the fhPromptUser...(), record Id cleared, and reset to default windows index, starting at the first record of that index. I suspect that cleanups (reset() whatever they call it, kevorkian() are problematical with these guys at fh.) IE, that, stuff left over after failed plugins, say.. rerunning a plugin a couple hundred times, failed or not increasing run time exponentially....you know, cleanup, we say that in English, both sides of the pond, no 'U's. Mike, if you think its that good, remove all your stuff from the wishlist. Just don't.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are still not making any sense. What is that large white screenshot all about?

(The vast majority of the stuff in the Wish List is not mine.)
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

comes with FH, you tell me.
The vast amount of stuff in the wishlist then is neither mine nor yours. Rather a waste then; old cheese, don't ya think?
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What comes with FH? That white area is all below the Taskbar, so nothing to do with FH.

Are you saying that when you open FH it always displays that large white space and moves the Taskbar up above it?

If not, then please explain what sequence of events or commands produce that abnormal display.

It is odd that there is no magnifying glass Focus Window icon above the Records Window icon top left.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

nothing odd. after about 200 debug sessions, some run to conclusion, some run to error, some stopped mid stream. did you notice the clear command not working , not ever? as in put some record number in record, and clear. (there are more articfacts of its not working on command nor as a matter of course, or such matters as top and bottom, left and right, not working in right click sliders? I would say its garbage in the graphics area, not having the code to peruse. it wont do that on a prtsc until you have been in there mucking about a bit. (a good bit) and paste into paint.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It seems Ron is talking about the Records Window and its Filter options Clear button not always working.
Also if you right-click on either the horizontal or vertical scroll bar there is a menu of standard Windows menu options, but some of them are inoperative in FH such as Left Edge, Right Edge, Top & Bottom.

I think he is also saying that after a lot of processing, the PrtScn button captures the Records Window plus that expanse of white below the Task Bar that appears when you paste it into Windows Paint.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The clear button as the documentation says only clears the filter. The Go To Record is a "position to" and not part of the filter.

The fhPointers are direct access to the internal view of the storage of the tree in memory and are blindingly quick if you code correctly, especially for an interpreted language like lua.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."