* Backup and Restore Plug-In

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Backup and Restore Plug-In

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike Tate, I had a major laptop failure yesterday and had to reinstall everything. I have managed to get my FH Project Data restored, and my list Plug-Ins rebuilt but I'm struggling with the Backup and Restore Plug-in to recover my Preferences and Customisation's.

I have the last Backup folder and attached is a screen shot of what exists in that folder - but the Restore function says there is no Backup Data present in the folder. I'm struggling to figure out what is wrong?

Help please

David
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (22.37 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Backup and Restore Plug-In

Post by tatewise »

Choose your FH Projects > Backup folder, not the Family Historian subfolder.
The Backup folder is what you chose to create the Backup, so use the same for the Restore.

It typically should be the same folder as you set in Tools > Preferences > Backup > Default Backup Folder.

I have noticed it is a recurring misunderstanding, and plan to add some corrective advice in the next Plugin update, so that when a user chooses that Family Historian structure it advises they choose the parent folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Mike. That solved the problem. Very much appreciated.

David
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

@Mike - Just an observation. I have been monitoring the results of the Backup and Restore Plugin. Today I ran a new Backup, I have the option to create Sub-Folders set equal Yes.
I have noticed that today's Backup has re-dated yesterday's Sub-Folder with the same date as today's backup. See Image. The Family Historian Folder within the Sub-Folder is correctly dated but the Sub-Folder itself has been re-dated for some reason. Not a major problem but sure looks confusing.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (123.92 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The NTFS folder Date Modified is sometimes mysterious.

I think in this case that the Plugin is checking that the last used backup folder still exists and has write access.
That is because the Restore operation may be instructed to remove obsolete backup files no longer required.
Also when Dated sub-folders are not used the same backup folder needs continuous write access.

To perform the write access check it creates and then deletes a temporary file, which alters the Date Modified.
I can see that it may be confusing, and will investigate to see if there is a better solution.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Mike. Not a real problem I don't think. But hopefully can be sorted going forward. Like I say the FH folder within the wrongly dated Sub-Folder is dated correctly.

BR
David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin Version 2.9 Date 26 May 2020 in the Plugin Store now does not usually alter the Date modified on any Backup folders.

It also recognises when a user chooses the Family Historian folder within the Backup folder, which is a popular mistake.
So it refuses that choice and advises that the parent Backup folder is chosen instead.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Mike. I'll go make the download.

BR

David