* Cannot install Plugin problem

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Cannot install Plugin problem

Post by ColinMc »

Just re-building my laptop after re-installing Windows. I previously had FH v6.2.7.0 running perfectly with files stored on One-Drive linked to my Desktop PC.

I've re-installed FH (using the original disk and code). FH seems to be working perfectly, and I've got it working with the synced project. I checked by changing my own DoB and it has synced from Laptop to Desktop and then changed DoB back, it syncs vice versa.

However all my plug-ins on the laptop fail with this error.
"An error has occurred. Cannot instal …. as aPlugin"
The only discussion I've found is Cannot install plugin (10758), and there was no resolution. However I am not on the trial version (as far as I can see, there is no reference to it on the "About" dialog, but there is also no user name or ID no either).

I have also tested installing
from the Family Historian website Plugin Store web page, or are you starting from the Family Historian program Tools > Plugins > Plugin Store button?
as was suggested. Neither route works.

Could it be that I have already "registered" a laptop (albeit the same one) and a desktop install?

Thanks

Colin
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Cannot install Plugin problem

Post by tatewise »

That is a bit unusual, Colin.
The FH Help > About Family Historian window never shows any licence codes.
Near the top it may say Registered To: and give your name.
Does it say Family Historian Version 6.2.7 at the very top?

Presumably there are no Plugins listed in the Tools > Plugins window?

How have you gone about restoring all your customisation and preference settings on the laptop?
i.e. custom Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, etc, etc...

Usually that would be performed using the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin, but that won't work.
So instead try copying the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder contents from desktop to laptop.

Another possibility is the security permissions on that folder or its subfolders may be preventing FH access.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

There is no "registered to" (on my Desktop or Laptop version). I bought from a third party supplier, not direct from Calico, not sure if that makes a difference!

It does say Family Historian Version 6.2.7 at the very top.

No there are no plugins listed.

So far I have nothing restored. I was planning to use your Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin.

I'll set up the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder, although I need to set up the Symbolic link as I have it on OneDrive as well. Just didn't get round to that yet.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

That's got my Symbolic link set up.

All Plugins (and reports etc) now visible. No need to install the Plugins.

Looks as if I won't even need to run the Restore bit of the Back-up & Restore Plugin. I will check that however.

All a bit strange, but seems to be OK now. Off to install AS now.

Thanks

Colin
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Think I've worked out what the problem was.

When I went to set up the Symbolic link, the "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian" was completely empty, no subfolders at all - in particular no "plugins" subfolder. So the install almost certainly fell over for that reason.

It is a more than a few days since I did the initial re-install of FH, so my memory is not that clear, but I suspect that I have made an error with the mklink command at an earlier stage and wiped the Plugin folder (along with all the others). So obviously user error.

I haven't fully tested this, but Mklink does not seem to work if there is a folder in existence. So it is necessary to delete the "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian" folder first before running mklink .

Thanks for the help.

Colin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Might be worth checking that a new Plugin can be installed from Plugin Store, and that custom changes to say a Diagram &/or Report work correctly and synch across OneDrive.

To register you can use Help > Product Registration and also opt to receive FH Bulletins by Email.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

I should have mentioned that I did try and load a plugin that I did not already have, and it installed perfectly and was available on both devices.

I haven't yet tried the Diagrams etc, but I will do shortly.

I'm pretty sure I would have registered the product when I first installed it on my Desktop, but I can't be certain. So I looked at Help > Product Registration but I don't have that option. So now I'm not sure if I did or not.
fh1.jpg
fh1.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 6591 times
Colin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

May be the Product Registration option only comes with downloads bought from Calico Pie and not CD.
You can still subscribe to the Bulletins at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/comm ... -bulletins
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

I suspect that may be the answer.

I have registered now, whether its a second one or not I'll possible discover in due course if I have used a different email address.

Thanks again

Colin
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

tatewise wrote:May be the Product Registration option only comes with downloads bought from Calico Pie and not CD.
Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I bought my FH as a download from Calico Pie and I don't have a "registered to" line in the Help > About either.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, do you have a Help > Product Registration command (which is more significant)?
Also, have you ever 'registered' via that command or during installation?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

We've had a discussion about product registration before, including the fact that some of us don't see these details, even though we have definitely registered. See this topic: Question on registration info in Help > About (16615)
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I had forgotten about that other post. I thought this sounded familiar. As I mentioned in the other post I do not have a Help > Product Registration item and I have registered in the past. Not sure why people have differences in their Help > About.