* Create Individual Shortcut very slow

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Create Individual Shortcut very slow

Post by BillH »

I recently tried using the Create Individual Shortcut plugin and am finding that clicking on it causes FH to load very slowly.

If I click on a desktop shortcut to the program itself, my project loads in less than 5 seconds.

Using the shortcut created by the plugin causes my project to load in about 40 - 45 seconds.

Is it normal for it to take so long?

Thanks
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Create Individual Shortcut very slow

Post by tatewise »

Mine takes about the same using either form of shortcut.
Do you briefly see a black command window with white text?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Yes, that flashes by right away. Then the FH logo screen flashes a second later. Then it takes a long time to actually load the file and display it in FH.
Bill Henshaw
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I wonder if it's something in your AV which is causing a problem, I don't see any additional delay when using shortcuts.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, I know yours is quite a large Project, so I have experimented with large Projects but they load at much the same speed whichever method I use, regardless of which Individual is chosen and whether Focus or Records Window. So it is a mystery.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Thanks for the replies. I tried turning off my anti-virus and anti-malware programs and the problem persists. A couple times it has taken so long I think I haven't clicked on the shortcut and click it again and then two instances of FH start up eventually. Oh well... I guess I'll just revert to starting FH without using the plugin created shortcut.

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Does it make any difference if the chosen Individual is the File Root person as opposed to anyone else?

Does it make any difference if the Focus Window as opposed to the Records Window is chosen?
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I always use the focus window so that is what I had it set for. I changed it to use the records window and that didn't make any difference. I have tried selecting the root person and a variety of other individuals in my tree and that didn't make any difference either.

[edit]
I went into task manager to see what else was running and saw Acronis Ransomware Protection. So I turned that off and that fixed the problem. So that is the culprit. Now I just have to decide what I want to do. I think I might want to keep Acronis so I may just have to revert to not using the plugin or put up with the long delay.

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Does Acronis Ransomware Protection have any exclusion/whitelist options that could treat the shortcut/FH process as benign?
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I hadn't used it before so I didn't realize that there is a whitelist capability.

I thought maybe because the shortcut is using a .cmd file to launch FH, that the shortcut would have to be added. So, I added "Launch Family Historian.cmd" into the whitelist. That didn't help.

Then I added fh.exe to the list and that did work. No more delay. Not sure why it needs the whitelist entry when using the plugin created shortcut, but not the std program shortcut.

Oh well... all is good now. Thanks for the help!
Bill Henshaw
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Probably something to do with the programming logic in Acronis Ransomware Protection, i.e. It accepts that the normal FH.exe is a legitimate launcher, but not if it's been 'adulterated' by extra command line instructions, which could have been added by a malicious software invader.

Mervyn
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mervyn,

That makes sense.

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw