* Research Planner enhancements

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Research Planner enhancements

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Edited: If you get here looking for the latest version see viewtopic.php?f=42&t=17189#p95554

I'm working on a new version of the Research Planner Plugin and will upload it to the FH plugin store when it's ready.

l definitely be including the ability to have Global Task Templates (which you can use in all Projects) and Project Specific Task templates (e.g. dependent on Source values which are Project-specific).

Another potential enhancement includes the option to add a date-created to a task (so you can know how dilatory you've been in pursuing it ;). And if I do this, would it be useful to have a Date in the Task fact or would it be an irrelevance.

Personally, I wouldn't use this -- I already know (painfully) what I haven't got around to so a date created/due wouldn't be useful but others might find it useful as an option, so I'd include it as an option if there;s enough demand.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Research Planner enhancements

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Another thought: if your 'custom' task attribute has an auto-create note, it will currently be ignored, if you're not using the default auto-create note associated with the plugin.

Do you want that auto-create note to be used (if no other note contents are specified)? Not promising anything...
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Not sure if this helps, but....

I modified the Templates such that a Creation Date value can be added as I quickly realised I needed some form of gentle reminder of how long ago I created the Research Note. That said, I have also now started adding a Fact Date (when I remember!) as I wanted to ensure the Research Facts were listed after all other Facts (chronologically speaking) - I am a user of Mike T's "Sort Date" Plugin so this also helps. So, in essence, "Yes" I would like to see a Fact Date auto added.
Research Template Snip.jpg
Research Template Snip.jpg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 9015 times
The end result in the Note is:
Research Note Snip.jpg
Research Note Snip.jpg (15.81 KiB) Viewed 9015 times
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Helen

In the research planner plugin I would like to see if it can work for families as well as individuals (Not being able to add facts to other record types means I think that we have to restrict it to that - otherwise we become the same as Jane's Private Notes method which whilst very flexible is not quite as intuitive).

In terms of templates, is it worth considering the Todo.txt format? If this format is adopted - possibly as custom labelled data - a query could allow export of the todo list to an application which also follows the todo.txt format. This would include Status, Priority, Creation Date, Context, Project and possibly custom data such as due date - although the latter's format (due:yyyy-mm-dd) might make using labelled data tricky!

Alternatively you might develop the instructions so that people can enter a task description in native todo.txt format, and the plugin could recognise this and allow export via a query.

As this option is Project Specific, the output needs to specify the project. I can envisage being at an archive with various print outs from different projects with one saying "Find Baptism of Arthur Smith" and not having a clue which fh project he belongs to!
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Brent, thanks.

David, some food for thought there -- I'm also toying with the idea of allowing people to save their Tasks as Note Records not Facts... there are pros and cons of both approaches, so they suit different ways of working.

Re todo.txt format -- that's only one possible format that people might ask for (I use Todoist so would naturally prefer that format ;) ) so I think the instructions route might be the one to go for -- how to include labelled text for each column, and how to create the query...
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

Now this looks like something that I have been wanting for a long time! However, a question if I may ask?
What will happen to these Research Notes or Facts when a gedcom is exported for say, sending to another family member, or uploading to a website?
Is there, or will there be, a method of optionally excluding my 'private' research notes or if a fact, that fact from the export, either in the singular or globally throughout the gedcom file?
I am not sure that my research notes would be relevant in the exported output reports or gedcom.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Brief answer: yes, you can exclude Notes, or [[private text]] within Notes using standard FH facilities; and the Change Any Fact plugin will delete all your Tasks (use it on a copy of your Gedcom!). I do both routinely when I publish my website or export Gedcoms for Ancestry etc.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Paul, all the options you need are explained in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media, especially under Export to Website Without Sensitive Data that identifies a number of optional steps.

As an alternative to the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin you can use the File > Split Tree Helper to delete data, but as Helen says, always on a copied/exported Project/Gedcom.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

Mike, I am well aware of those options as I have been using FH for over 15 years. I suppose I should have asked Helen, if at Task/Note/Fact creation will those Research Note/Facts be automatically created with the [[ ]] or optionally per Research Note? I would hate to 'forget' to privatise one, and it slips through the net!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Re Research Facts, the notes aren't automatically enclosed in [[]] as my assumption is that the entire Fact will be removed on export/publication etc.

When I implement the (future) option to use Notes rather than Facts, I will enclose those in [[]] by default.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the point being that you cannot enclose everything in a fact within [[ privacy ]] brackets, because they only apply to long text fields such as Note and Address and Text From Source.
So even if your Research fact only has a fact Note and it is enclosed in [[ privacy ]] brackets, the Research fact will still be exported albeit with no associated data.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PeterKuehne

Post by PeterKuehne »

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. This Research Planner plugin looks like exactly what I need to keep track of the birth/death/marriage certificates that I've been requesting.

I can't find the plugin in the store, is there a (beta) release of it anywhere that I could use? I'm a programmer myself (more C++ than Lua, but I dabble) so I'm happy to use as-is and contribute any bugfixes/enhancements back.

Thanks!

Edit: and I just found The beta testing thread
Russell
Diamond

Post by Russell »

I was going to suggest clicking on the link in the first post in this thread, but it just reports The requested page could not be found.
PeterKuehne

Post by PeterKuehne »

Which is why I asked :)
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 42&t=17189

thats where I got mine, and it seems to work now.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit