* File location of Plugin - Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
philmcleod
Famous
Family Historian: V6

File location of Plugin - Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings

Post by philmcleod »

I have several times used the Plugin “Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings” to the default location and have regularly done Full Backups (Entire Project Folder) using the inbuilt FH Backup & Restore facility to a portable hard drive.
I am curious as to actually what file contains the settings from the Plugin and its true location as the default backup folder in the Plugin is "Family Historian Projects\McLeod Family Tree\Public" but after using the Plugin there is no file in that folder. There is however a file “Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings.dat” in a sub folder “Family Historian Projects\McLeod Family Tree\Public\Family Historian\Program Data\Plugin Data” Is that the file and the true location?
Also, when transferring to a new PC I presume that it does it matter if the “Full Backups (Entire Project Folder) are stored on a portable drive as they are not used in the migration process.
I have read all the notes but remain a little confused.
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: File location of Plugin - Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings

Post by tatewise »

The backup of FH settings are currently saved in \Family Historian Projects\McLeod Family Tree\Public\Family Historian\
It uses a number of folders and files rather than a single .zip file.
So everything inside that Family Historian folder is the backup of your custom settings.

That is explained in the Plugin Help & Advice page for the Options tab.
It can also be read here plugins:help:backup_and_restore_family_historian_settings:settings#backup_and_restore_family_historian_settings_options_tab|> Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings ~ Options tab.

Furthermore, if you perform a Full Backup of your Project then that will include the Public folder and thus the Family Historian folder with the backed up settings.

The PC to PC migration guide is in how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
philmcleod
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Re: File location of Plugin - Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings

Post by philmcleod »

Thanks. I now understand