* Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin - usage

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ricklach
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Re: Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin - usage

Post by ricklach »

I have been trying to use this plugin but each time I try to filter the records, FH just crashes (not just once but each time I try the plugin). Not sure what is happening or what, if anything, I am doing wrong. Any suggestions on where to start would be helpful. Crashes the moment I click on "Sort Addresses."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry about that. Please confirm the following.
Are you running Rearrange Address and Place Parts version 1.5.1 as shown at top of its window ?
Is FH fully up-to-date at version 6.2.7 ? (see Help > About Family Historian)
Does the problem occur with the Family Historian Sample Project ?
Does FH literally crash without any error message ?
What Windows version are you running ( 7, 8.1, 10 ) ?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ricklach
Platinum

Post by ricklach »

I am running version 1.5, the only one in the plugin store that I can see. I have the latest version of FH 6.2.7. The program crashes without any error messages. I am running Win 10 with the latest updates and service packs. It seems to work fine on the sample project.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please try Version 1.5.1 attached to my posting earlier in this thread dated Mon 11th Mar 2019 12:13.
However, I suspect that will crash in the same way.

The problem appears to be triggered by something in your Project data that upsets the Plugin/FH.
This difficulty is going to be to discover what data that might be.
Can you use File > File Statistics and post the text contents of that display here.

Having run the Plugin and clicked Sort by Address to cause FH to crash, when run the next time does that sort button say Sort by Place or Sort by Address?

One thing to try is debug mode that may produce an error message instead of crash.
So use Tools > Plugins and if necessary click More>> to reveal the right-hand buttons New, Edit, etc.
Select the Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin in left-hand pane and then click Edit top right.
In the popup window click Go near top left to run the Plugin script.
Be patient, as it will run slower than normal, but the same user dialogue windows should appear.
Click the tabs and buttons as usual, and see what happens...
Note any error messages that may appear in bottom left-hand pane.
ricklach
Platinum

Post by ricklach »

Ok, I upgraded to 1.5.1. I then selected 5 items from the filter and did a simple move first field to address and shift all the place fields one to the left. The program ran but after more than 20 min it was still performing the task - on 5 place/address lines. Then all the screens except the FH main window and plugin window disappeared as if the task were completed but the plugin was still running. After 30 min I aborted the program. Here are my stats:
Record Counts...
Individual Records:93972
Family Records: 35336
Note Records: 0
Source Records: 7536
Repository Records: 118
Submitter Records: 0
Submission Records: 0
Media Records: 19300
Place Records: 11064

I restarted the program, ran the plugin again, checked the filter window and nothing had happened - 0 changes had been recorded. I then followed your directions for debugging and following a brief interaction with the filter screen the program again crashed without warning. I repeated the process, selected the same 5 address/place lines, went to the main screen and clicked the " start process" button and the program immediately crashed again. I give up!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry about those problems.
That is a big Project with lots of the important records.
The Plugin may need Progress Bar indicators where I had not expected to need them.
I am a bit tied up publishing the local village magazine for a few days, and will then have a look at it.
However, since your posting I Quit FH for TMG (16791) there would seem to be no urgency.
allenawilson
Platinum

Post by allenawilson »

I hope this get answered here since the discussion is a couple of years old. Wonderful plugin Mr. Tate!! After running the plugin and getting places with {A1} and {A2}, is it okay to merge those places and remove the {A1} or {A2} (using the edit function) from the place? Does that create any other problems? As an aside, I think I noticed that after doing this, a GEDCOM import into FTM 2019 loses the address completely. I expected it to all be on one line. Probably just an FTM issue. Allen.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please see the Plugin Help & Advice page for the Result Set https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... result-set
That explains the various {xx} prefix and suffix cases and the necessary corrective actions.

It is difficult to explain the FTM 2019 problem without more details and some example GEDCOM.
Are you using the 'Export Gedcom File' plugin with the FTM 2019 setting?
allenawilson
Platinum

Post by allenawilson »

Mr. Tate, I had missed the "result set" page. Thank you for pointing that out. I had already successfully merged and edited the place name, so only wondered about importing the resulting GEDCOM into FTM 2019. I had completely forgotten about the GEDCOM export plugin, which I already had installed. I'll need a little time to adjust the settings, and then I'll try again and see what the result is. I'll report the results, but it really doesn't matter. I am very pleased with Family Historian but am trying to get results similar to the FTM plugin "Family Book Creator", by using "Books and Booklets" in Family Historian.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I recommend that you initially accept the default settings in the 'Export Gedcom File' plugin for its GEDCOM Export Mode: (FTM) Family Tree Maker 2019. Only if that does not produce a satisfactory outcome should you try other settings.
Please start a new thread in the Importing and Exporting forum for exporting to FTM 2019.