* Draft pages and Downloads in Knowledge Base

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Draft pages and Downloads in Knowledge Base

Post by tatewise »

I might consider renaming my To Do Lists download page so that it sits better in all the Download Categories.

I had assumed your Help file would only be downloaded & installed by your Plugin and not be a user download.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Yes, it wouldn't be a user download, but it has to be available on the FHUG wiki to be downloaded by the Plugin (I could park it somewhere else but users would rightly be suspicious of a plugin that downloaded 'stuff' from a website they have no clue about.) Which is why I'm adding it directly to 'my page' (which then led naturally on to adding all the component downloads directly to my page).
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Just thinking aloud -- if the help file has been uploaded, I suspect it can be downloaded without actually appearing on any wiki page as long as my plugin knows the url
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Correct, I was about to remind you about that, just like my DownloadIcons() function I posted last Wednesday, where the Icon files exist in the Media namespace, but not on any Wiki pages.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Harping back to the concept of multiple types of download on one page, there is another Wiki feature that could help with that.
The {{page>page}} link allows one page of text to be linked invisibly into many other pages.
So there could be a separate page with a Title matching each Category of download, but they would all use {{page>page}} to incorporate the single page that holds all the downloads and their associated description and installation instructions, etc.
So there is one shared page that integrates all the downloads together, but there is an appropriately titled page appearing in each download Category list, and that same page could also appear in the Plugin advice page. It is a bit like a shared Note record in FH.

The above technique is already used in most Download pages to include the same Installation instructions where needed.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Sounds wonderful... if I understood it (sorry). I shall do some homework.... maybe.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I hope to implement that change for my To Do List and other downloads, and regret not thinking of doing it earlier. You may wish to wait until I have done that to see how it looks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have updated my To Do Lists and Contact Info download pages, and other similar multiple downloads can follow in due course.

The revised download pages can be found via fhugdownloads:index|> Downloads and Links under Family Historian listed within Fact Sets, Property Box, Query Type:Fact, Report Type, Version 4 Specific & Version 5 Specific, plus Research Resources lower down.

Also how_to:create_work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|> Create Work In Progress or Research To Do Lists cross-refers to the primary one of those download pages fhugdownloads:contents:fact_set_to_do_lists|> Fact Set ~ To Do Lists.

Each of the eventual download pages only has a Headline at the top, a shared page> link, and a tag> line at the bottom that eventually determines which download Category list(s) it appears in.
(Temporarily I have added some of them manually until the [kb]|[/kb] tags> get refreshed by Jane.)
e.g.

Code: Select all

====== Fact Set ~ To Do Lists ======

{{page>insertpages:dd_to_do_lists&nofooter}}

{{tag> Fact-Set Research FHVersion4 FHVersion5 }}
The root namespace insertpages:index|> Insert Pages holds links to all the shared pages.
It can be found via knowledge_base_titles|> Knowledge Base Titles from the left-hand sidebar, listed under I.
Your 'hidden' page is also listed there under R as Research Task Manager - An Overview, so you can still find it even if you lose your browser bookmark.

Once the shared page has been created and linked to at least one download page, you don't need to find the shared page again.
It can be edited directly from any of the download pages via an Edit (insertpages:dd_to_do_lists) button.

BTW:
This is another topic for Contribute Your Knowledge Improvements (16381) that is not currently covered.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Still struggling to get a download that works:

[[http://www.fhug.org.uk/pushfile.php?ns=/how_to/research_planner&filename=research_planner.fhf&name=Research Planner|Research Planner Fact Set]]
offers to create a file called Research%20Planner.fhf

and then does so.

How do I get rid of the %20 in the downloaded file?

Updated:

[[http://www.fhug.org.uk/pushfile.php?ns=/how_to/research_planner&filename=research_planner.fhf|Research Planner Fact Set]]
works, but the file name (and so Fact Set name) isn't Camel Case.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It seems that the [[http://www.fhug.org.uk/pushfile.php?...]] mechanism no longer works as it should for %20 space characters.
That is something for Jane to investigate.

However, the pushfile Plugin Macro does work correctly, so you need:

{{pushfile>how_to:research_planner:research_planner.fhf|Research Planner}} ~ Research Planner Fact Set
See contributeyourknowledge:pageformattingsyntaxreference:links#pushfile_plugin_macro|> Pushfile Plugin Macro.