* Is there a plugin for FH Website update requests?

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
JonyO
Family Historian: V6

Is there a plugin for FH Website update requests?

Post by JonyO »

Greetings,

I'm new here in these forums, and was wondering if anyone can point me to a plugin, or source code for FH v. 6.2 that would allow anyone viewing the public website to request changes/additions/removals etc. I was looking to build some type of form, but then I won't know which record out of the 26k the request referred to. There must by a more elegant way to accomplish this functionality, or more ideally a plugin I can utilize. If there is not, I would settle for a referral to an accomplished developer.
In case it is important, I'm located in Los Angeles, CA and the site in question is: aronoff.com
Thank you.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Is there a plugin for FH Website update requests?

Post by Jane »

I don't think there is a plugin for this, although Mike's Web page enhancement might.

What you could do is add a standard PHP contact form to your site to replace the generated one, and use PHP to pick up the referring page ($_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"];) and add that as a hidden field on the form so you can add it to the email. Then add a link to the contact page on the to menu.

There is a basic php form here:
https://www.freecontactform.com/email_form.php
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

To make it easier to identify a specific record, include the [Record Id] in each report page for each Family & Individual.
The Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin allows Record Id to be added to the Index page, plus other features.

To start with, why not modify the Contact page to include advice about what request details to include such as Record Id.
Then the user could simply use your Email address from the Contact page.
There could be advice in other pages to inform user to use the Contact page to submit change requests.

If instead you design a Form then Record Id would be one of the required fields.
A link to the Form can be added to every page via the wizard Step 8: Final Details > Advanced button.

It might be possible to add a request Form to the Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin features, but that would take some time to develop, and I'm not sure how many users would be interested.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Having an automatic link to a Record ID does have it’s drawbacks. If you want people to contact you about your tree, what happens when they want to discuss someone missing from your tree? ( i.e. No Record ID to refer to).

Far simpler to have a brief message explaining what you expect when they contact you, ( as MikeTate has suggested), with a simple contact me link, leading to a free form text box for them to complete. :D

Common courtesy dictates that the contactee give you precise details of who they are referring to.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If reporting someone missing, there still needs to be a Record Id of the relatives(s), to identify where they belong in the tree.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Yeah, I realised that after I posted :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Just to add that if you use Gedsite fhugdownloads:contents:utility_gedsite|> Utility ~ GedSite the embedded contact system details the page that was open at the time the email link was clicked which if it happens to be a page containing details of a person will include the person's name and ID.

Brian