* Map Life Facts Plugin Error

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
BEJ
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Re: Map Life Facts Plugin Error

Post by BEJ »

Thanks to your help, I have Map Life Facts up and running with my own API. Now I just need to figure out how to successfully use the plugin! ;)

Following is how the place list displays for me in v 4.2.2 (non-alphabeticaly).
Screenshot 2018-09-17 14.23.30.png
Screenshot 2018-09-17 14.23.30.png (77.17 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thanks for the feedback, and the Place List screenshot.
In my haste I had not spotted that abnormal order. Sorry, not enough testing :oops:

The order seems to be governed by the leading characters in the first Place name within each folder.

Attached is Map Life Facts Plugin Version 4.2.3 Date 17 Sep 2018 ZIP file that should resolve the folder order.
Within each folder the Place names are sorted by leading alphanumerical characters, disregarding leading commas & quotes, etc.
Is that acceptable?
[EDIT: Attachment deleted as Plugin V4.5 is in Plugin Store.]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BEJ
Famous

Post by BEJ »

Mike Tate -- Thanks again for your assistance with the Map Life Facts plugin. As I described in my post here of 12 Sep 2018, I use PLACe to establish latitude and longitude for the most specific location I can achieve; thus I include farm/building/church/cemetery/etc. in the first column of PLACe. I initially enclosed the contents of the first column in "quotation marks" as suggested in discussions about the plugin. While I appreciate your changes to create alphabetical arrangement of folders by the first alphanumeric character (thus ignoring quotes), I've found that listings in Family Historian v6 do not have that capability and I end up with a fh6 folder for all locations that begin with quotation marks. So, just as an FYI, I no longer use the beginning quotes. I also found that GoogleMaps recognized a couple of building names, so why exclude them from searches?

I do have a question. In the second column of PLACe I enter the street name. This is so all locations on the same street are grouped. I follow the street name with the house or street number. Here's my question: Are you aware of any issues that would arise in Map Life Facts or GoogleMaps if I used a 'pound' sign (#) in front of the number? I'm considering using #00 to make narrative reports more readable, e.g. he lived in Bellevue, Beacon Street #21, Boston. . . . I've tested a few locations using # and encountered no problems.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Dealing with your last question first, it seems that Google Maps is very tolerant of non-alphanumeric symbols such as # , * etc.
In fact, I suspect it ignores them all, and just focusses on the alphanumeric words and numbers and often disregards their order.
I tried Geocoding with Boston Bellevue Street Beacon 21 and other variants, and it usually mapped to the same 21 Beacon St.

Sorry, but I don't understand your assertion: "I end up with a fh6 folder for all locations that begin with quotation marks".
Where does this folder appear within FH V6? Can you please post a screenshot.
In both the Records Window and Tools > Work with Data > Places every location is listed separately.

FYI: The purpose of excluding building names by surrounding in quotes is due to the answer to your first question.
Google Maps often ignores the order of names in the location.
So, if a building name contained say Boston, then Google Maps may plot that in Boston by mistake, when the building is actually somewhere else.
e.g.
Boston Massachusetts House, New York plots in Boston.
"Boston Massachusetts House", New York plots in New York.
So the quotes are a special mechanism used in the Plugin to overcome that problem.
They do NOT work in the general online Google Maps browser window.
BEJ
Famous

Post by BEJ »

Fuzzy thinking on my part—all the “quoted” places are grouped in lists out of alpha order (not in folders) in fh6.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In Tools > Work with Data > Places you can sort on any column, which should help working on locations in order.

BTW: I have added some extra explanation in my previous reply.

So, you should just use the quotes where necessary to correct false plots.
Also, you can do that in the Plugin Substitute field (or FH V6 Standardised field) so the quoted version does not appear in lists.