* date changes using Plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
terryl
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

date changes using Plugin

Post by terryl »

I'm new to using plugins so please excuse my ignorance, I have been entering date for 1939 register just as 1939. Now I have found a definite date which is 29 Sept 1939. Is there any way I can automatically change 1939 to 29 Sep 1939 without having to inspect every entry but leaving any full 1939 dates already there?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: date changes using Plugin

Post by tatewise »

Yes Terry, use the Search and Replace Plugin from the Plugin Store.

Select LUA Pattern Mode top right.

If you wish you can set Search Scope to Census (INDI.CENS) assuming you have been entering Census Events.

In the Basic Filters untick every option except Date fields lower right.

In the Search: box enter ^1939$ which is an LUA Pattern that anchors 1939 to start ^ and end $ of the Date field.

In the Replace: box enter 29 Sep 1939 and then click the Search & Replace button.

You can confirm each Replace one by one if there are not too many.

You should be using Ancestral Sources to add those 1939 Register entries which ensures the Date is correct.
See also ancestralsources:family_historian_census_event_for_uk_1939_register|> Family Historian Census Event for UK 1939 Register.

If you have not been using Ancestral Sources, but created your own custom fact, then the Search Scope of Census (INDI.CENS) above is incorrect, and you need to convert all your custom facts to the Census fact, which can be performed by another Plugin.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
terryl
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by terryl »

MANY, MANY Thanks Mike, that worked well. I've not treated it as a census, but entered address, occupation, etc and checked birth dates.
Now to try it on 1911 census.
Terry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The online records in FindMyPast and Ancestry for 1939 Register are classified as Census.
Also various Reports and Plugins, etc, work better if they are recorded as Census Events.
how_to:recording_census_records|> Recording from a Census Record identifies such features.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

tatewise wrote:In the Search: box enter ^1939$ which is an LUA Pattern that anchors 1939 to start ^ and end $ of the Date field.
Mike, would that work if one put in ^Sept 1939$?
I put in the month to distinguish it from the German census on 17 May 1939. I think I already altered my May 1939 ones by hand. At one point they were all just 1939 and muddled up together.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It will work, but you must spell the month in full, i.e. ^September 1939$

BTW: Even if abbreviations worked, ^Sept 1939$ would not match, because abbreviation is Sep not Sept
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike (yet again). I may do this.