* PDF Reports

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

PDF Reports

Post by Ron Melby »

I have been sloshing around in the minimal pdf stuff. and see no way to make a hyperlink indication (although they do work) and no way to change portrait or landscape on the save as .. reports ...some of them (mine) are prima facie ugly and not obvious what page 2 is about thingie.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: PDF Reports

Post by tatewise »

If a text field such as a Note contains a URL such as https://www.google.co.uk/ then if that URL appears in the PDF Report then it will be an active hyperlink.

Just above the Save Report As button there is a Printer Setup button. What do you think that might do?
There is also a File > Print Setup command that opens the same dialogue.
In its Print Setup dialogue set the Paper Size and Orientation and anything else as you require.

I have no idea what your last question is all about, regarding "what page 2 is about thingie". :?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

Just above the Save Report As button there is a Printer Setup button. What do you think that might do?

Mines to the left. I think it does nothing whatsoever, having filled it out and asked for landscape and fit to page and it doesnt do that. What do you think it might do?

I saw long ago that they are hyperlinks but I want them shown as hyperlinks in the standard underlined blue way, same as would happen in the txt or csv version. Don't see how to get that.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Not sure where you are looking Ron, but my Report sidebar buttons with Printer Setup are shown below.
It is important to set Printer - Name: to Family Historian PDF as that is the print driver for the PDF File.
Changing those settings work for me, but only for the current Report and need to be reset for each new Report.
(Please post a screenshot of your Report window if it is different.)
PrinterSetup.png
PrinterSetup.png (20.68 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
That just seems to be the way hyperlinks are shown in FH PDF files. There is no other way that I know of.

I still have no idea what your original question is about regarding "what page 2 is about thingie".
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

i have no reports sidebar anything, this is the result of a plugin.

so I go to save as pdf. before I do, I go to the printer (on the home computer there is no printer, the only option is
FHPDF so I set it to landscape, and fit to size option for letter, it asks me after it prints, do I want to see it?
Sure! it is in portrait, and the columns that do not fit in portrait come on a page two. and on the computer where I have a printer I call up the page preview with shrink to fit and it is two side by side landscape pages.

you dont know what a second page is? *snicker*
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

We all know what a page 2 is.

We're just bemused by "not obvious what page 2 is about thingie," which suggests that you don't.

I recommend being polite to the people trying to help you.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

I am; when people try to help, polite to them, that is...
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ron, your original question said "save as .. reports" so I strangely assumed you were talking about Reports. Silly me!
Tip: Use keywords from the window and commands you are using to help us understand what you are doing.
You know what you can see, but we can't, so please be as helpful as you can. A screen-shot helps too.

However, since you are talking about Plugin Result Set > Save As PDF File settings, this thread has been moved back into the Plugin Discussions Forum, and I have experimented with Printer settings. When I set the Orientation the saved PDF file always uses the chosen mode. Are you sure your PDF file is in Portrait mode (i.e. width < height) or is Result Set simply too wide?

There are two ways to select Portrait versus Landscape.
In the plugin results the General tab has an Orientation setting.
Also the File > Print Setup command has an Orientation setting.
Change one and the other changes too.

With the Result Set tab selected use File > Print Preview to view the results layout.
If that spreads over two pages then there are two solutions. (I now understand what you mean by 2 page thingie.)
1) In the File > Print Setup make the Paper Size larger such as A3 or A2 or even A0!
If you choose to actually print the PDF to paper, it will usually scale down to fit the actual printer paper size such as A4.
2) In the Result Set make the columns narrower either manually by dragging the column header junctions, or by changing the Plugin fhOutputResultSetColumn(...) width parameters.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

I will try that when I get home and see. thanks. Ill let you know.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit