* Show Project Statistics question

Writing and using plugins for Version 5 and above.
Tony Jones
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Show Project Statistics question

Post by Tony Jones » 17 Mar 2018 12:25

So, while I've had FH for some years, I've only recently come back to my tree and started looking into plugins. I've run Show Project Statistics, and while I understand most of the reasons why records are identified, I get an error with the first dozen or so people in my tree:
Event has Link to Parents Family via All tab.
Apart from a pedantic note about the absence of an apostrophe [!], I don't understand what this is telling me. I click and get the record up and it points to the Born entry. When I expand on the All tab, it looks similar to the hundreds of others entered, and these don't generate the message.

What does it mean, do I need to worry and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Using an iMac via Parallels/Win 10 64-bit and a MacBook via WINE

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Show Project Statistics question

Post by tatewise » 17 Mar 2018 13:58

Firstly have you checked the Help & Advice for the Result Set Exceptions Report from within Plugin?
See Knowledge Base > Show Project Statistics ~ Result Set Exceptions Report.
There it explains how to locate such items on the All tab, which is standard Result Set feature many don't know about.
Also for that exception it says it's due to rare Birth/Christening/Adoption Event link to Parents Family.
I spend hours writing that advice but it seems it is often not consulted.

In this case it is a perfectly valid GEDCOM structure, but rarely used and somewhat hidden in FH.
So when it exists it is usually due to an import from another product and the user does not know it is there (like you).
That is why I flag it as an exception, not an error, as it is simply unusual.
To get rid of it, use Delete in the usual way.

BTW: I use Parents Family in the same way as FH as opposed to Spouse Family. It is a reference to that form of GEDCOM family link, not to the parent's family as such.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Tony Jones
Platinum

Post by Tony Jones » 18 Mar 2018 08:32

Mike,

I should have said I have read the help, looked on the All Tab and that's why I posted. When I select the item on the All Tab it has a Birth item and when I expand the + the exception is with the last line "Parents Family". When I select the line highlighted (Parents Family) and try delete from the menu it won't let me "No Item found in selected cells. Nothing to delete"

Are you saying I should delete the whole birth item and re-add it?

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 18 Mar 2018 09:15

2018-03-18_085411.png
2018-03-18_085411.png (11.79 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
When you select to delete make sure you click on the left hand item and not the record. As shown above
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Tony Jones
Platinum

Post by Tony Jones » 18 Mar 2018 09:30

That's what I thought I'd tried and got the error message about nothing to delete! It's as though the focus hasn't moved into the property/ all tab. I'm using Wine on a Macbook, I'll try later under Windows 10 / Parallels / iMac.

I'm sure it's something really obvious I'm missing!

Tony Jones
Platinum

Post by Tony Jones » 18 Mar 2018 12:09

So, it turns out the delete option from the menu doesn't work but if I use Fn + Delete on my keyboard it does the trick. I'll put that mostly down to user inability to use their Macbook keyboard, but also a confusing interface - there's no obvious way to (eg click right in the all tab) to delete an entry from the screen and Edit - Del doesn't want to do the job either!

I'll be back with my next question later (apologies to Mike for my inability to grasp the help text on any future queries)

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 18 Mar 2018 12:27

Tony, did you follow the advice to right-click the Result Set Exception Item and choose Locate in All Tab?
That should have immediately highlighted the Parents family item with every [+] open.
Then the Delete should operate directly on that field.
Sorry that Edit > Delete does not work with MacBook Wine.
Try reporting that problem to Calico Pie and suggest the right-click Delete idea.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry