* Crashed Data Entry Plugin /Ancestral Sources

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Adjer
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Crashed Data Entry Plugin /Ancestral Sources

Post by Adjer »

When I start Ancestral Sources via the Data Entry Plugin & click Run, the usual Birth, Marriage etc. dialog box does not deploy. A new window opens in the Task Bar & saying Ancestral Sources. The start box says Data Entry plugin is running but Ancestral Sources does not start up. See my attachment. I have tried deleting the plugin via R click & Uninstalled AS. Then reinstalled both. I have run Windows System File Checker Tool but none of this solves the problem. Any ideas ?? Nb. Ancestral Sources runs on OK on it's own.

Sorry, the system will not accept my screen shot attachment.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Crashed Data Entry Plugin /Ancestral Sources

Post by tatewise »

See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice about posting screen shot attachments.

Sorry, I suspect you have hit the snag that some of my plugins suffer.
Many of them have been republished to fix the problem, but not Ancestral Sources Data Entry yet.

Assuming your FH Project name is MyProject then you need to delete the Plugin Data file at:
...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\MyProjct\MyProject.fh_data\Plugin Data\Ancestral Sources Data Entry.dat

The bug seems to be caused by Minimising or Maximising the Ancestral Sources Data Entry window before it is closed.
The symptoms are that the Plugin is Running, and exists in the Taskbar, but is unresponsive.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Adjer
Platinum

Post by Adjer »

Mike; Thanks for the reply. I have tried deleting "Ancestral Sources Data Entry.dat" but it does not clear the problem. When I run the Data Entry Plugin it just reinstalls the deleted file & Ancestral Sources is in the Task Bar. Also tried deleting both plugin & the dat file together then reinstalled the plugin. Again the fault persists. As they say I am stuck; Adjer
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry about this problem.
Can you double-check exactly what you are seeing.
You say Ancestral Sources is in Task Bar but I suspect it is actually Ancestral Sources Data Entry that is in Task Bar.
If you hover cursor over the icon in Task Bar, what is shown?

Double-check you are deleting Ancestral Sources Data Entry.dat from the correct Project sub-folder.

Try running the Plugin in another Project.
Perhaps the Family Historian Sample Project or create a dummy New Project via File > Project Window.

Try the attached Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin Version 4.6.1 that should cure the problem.
This is the one I hope to publish in the Plugin Store soon.
[ This Attachment has been deleted because the Plugin is now in the Plugin Store. ]
Adjer
Platinum

Post by Adjer »

Mike; I tried all your suggestions before my 1st post except for delete dat. file. You are correct about the rogue window in the task bar being the data file display not A S. However the hover display being small, was hard to read & it was corrupted. The only words present in a box in the bottom right corner were "Cancel Plugin".
I have installed V 4.6.1 version & it struggled to work but eventually revealed A S. However a dialog box came up before completion which said; Family Historian The help & advice web page has encountered a problem. The F H Shell Version is undefined in the Windows Registry. So please run "Write Reg I E Shell Version Plugin to rectify". Can you enlighten me on this, as your plugin runs, but it staggers.
Many, many thanks for your help & time on this vexing but interesting problem. Adger.
See 2 attachments.
Attachments
Data Entry-Ancestral Sources fault4.JPG
Data Entry-Ancestral Sources fault4.JPG (50.09 KiB) Viewed 6290 times
Data Entry-Ancestral Sources Fault5.JPG
Data Entry-Ancestral Sources Fault5.JPG (48.41 KiB) Viewed 6290 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin is trying to display its Help & Advice web page, the same as when you click that button. Many of my Plugins do that automatically, when their version changes, to remind users what has changed and encourage them to read the advice.

To display web pages derived from the Internet, FH uses a component of Internet Explorer called the IE Shell.
All Windows programs that want to display web pages must do the same. They cannot use your default browser.

In FH V6 the IE Shell is usually correctly configured in the Windows Registry.

Earlier FH versions (I see you are using FH V5), especially with Windows prior to Windows 10, often do not have that Windows Registry configuration.

So run Write Reg IE Shell Version Plugin and set the IE Shell Version to 9 or higher.
This must be done from an Administrator account and will require a Windows Restart.
That should fix the problem.

BTW: Both your screen shots were identical.
Adjer
Platinum

Post by Adjer »

Mike; I have not been able to write to OS registry as you suggested. I am not familiar with the text format for entry in the "run box". Can you please explain further. Thanks for your patience. Adjer. Nb. I put up two attachments to show that all my FH history projects have this problem.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it will affect all Projects, as do most customisations.

Not sure what you mean by 'the text format for entry in the "run box".

Have you downloaded the Write Reg IE Shell Version Plugin from the FH Plugin Store.
Just as you did to obtain the Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin or any other Plugin.
If not then use the Tools > Plugins > Plugin Store button as explained in plugins:about#downloading_and_using_plugins|> Downloading and Using Plugins.

Then select the Write Reg IE Shell Version Plugin and Run it as usual.
Follow the instructions displayed.
Adjer
Platinum

Post by Adjer »

Mike; I have loaded the plugin, & AS + Data entry are working properly now. I simply got hold of the wrong stick when your post said "run" I did (Windows+R) keys & of course it didn't work. Thanks again, Adjer.