* @NOTEPOINTER@

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

@NOTEPOINTER@

Post by Ron Melby »

I have imported a gedcom from FTM. It has note records, they are in a separate area, I can see them when I use the note tab, but cannot go back to the individual record that uses them. I cannot find anything on the site on how to do that.

there is a plug in that is Migrate all census family records to individuals, that says I should run the plugin Give individuals their own facts as a pre-requisite, but I cannot find such a plugin. Thought I might look that over and see if I could modify it to put the notes in line.

So a situation might be:
NOTE 1828 is used on 1 record. I want to flip back and forth to that original record.

lets say

NOTE 1828 is used on 3 records. I would like to flip back and forth between the note and a selected record of the group. Am I missing something fundamental? This must be doable.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
DavidNewton
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: @NOTEPOINTER@

Post by DavidNewton »

If I have understood correctly. Your note records are on the note tab in the records window.
If you select a note then using the View menu select Record Links, you will get a list of all records linked to the selected note. If there is more than one then probably the best way to deal with them is to create a named list with the records, Bottom right corner button on the list box. You can also go to individual selected records in the list but if you do that the list disappears.

David
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

I hope you have digested how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM).

The last bullet point of how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker#quick_fix_plugins|> Quick Fix Plugins advises using the Clean Up Notes Plugin to move single use Note records to local Notes. This would be easier to modify if you want to replicate multiple linked Note records into local Notes.

The second bullet point is crucial if using FTM 2017 to get long Note text correct.

As David says, there is the View > Record Links command but you cannot flip back and forth and it does not identify exactly where the Note record is used.

Better is to select the Note record in the Records Window and run the Where Used Record Links Plugin that produces a detailed Result Set and allows flip back & forth.

You also mention the Migrate Census Family to Individual Events and Give Witnesses Their Own Facts Plugins.

All the Plugins mentioned above are in the Plugin Store.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ron Melby »

Thank you, that took care of it for me, I somehow missed that plugin in the plugin store. I read that FTM post way back, but did not think of it, because I am on 6.2.5
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit