*Duplicates plugin enhancement?

Writing and using plugins for Version 5 and above.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Duplicates plugin enhancement?

Postby Valkrider » 08 Sep 2017 08:28

Mike

I don't know if this is possible but I will ask anyway.

Would it be possible to include the Family ID in the output from the Find Duplicate Individuals plugin?

This is probably a limited use scenario but it would certainly help me with my surname studies in Family Historian.

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Duplicates plugin enhancement?

Postby tatewise » 08 Sep 2017 08:53

Colin, can you clarify a few points.

I presume you mean the Family as Spouse Record Id and would need all of them for multiple spouses?

Also there is the Family as Child Record Id and that can also have multiple instances for example with adoptive parents.

Do you need all of those?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Valkrider
Megastar

Postby Valkrider » 08 Sep 2017 09:19

Mike

What I am trying to do is speed up the de-duplication process.

Depending on the records I have and the families created I may have a Fred Smith Married to an Edith [Unknown] and a Fred Smith married to an Edith Jones. I may have one child in the first record and 3 in the second record (one being common). In the duplicates result set I see the two Fred Smiths and decide they are the same I check them out and confirm that they are the same family. I then have to hunt for them in the Family Records tab so I can de-duplicate the families.

I am looking for a simpler way to find the families to merge as I have many common first names and it can take some time to identify the correct families to merge.

Jane
Site Admin

Postby Jane » 08 Sep 2017 11:06

Colin, you should be able to merge the Family Records as part of the Record merge, you will just need to manually select the match all inside the Merge/Edit standard dialog. Remember you can drill down and up in the merge dialog and match lots of records based on your start paring.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 08 Sep 2017 11:32

Yes, when you do the record merge for the two Fred Smith records, the dialogue allows compatible pairs of Parents family and/or Spouse family records to selected to Match in the same way other data items can be selected to Match.

When that is done a Families tab is added to the dialogue for those Family records.

Also all the matched Individual records linked those Family records are added to the Individuals tab.
e.g. Edith [unknown] and Edith Jones will be automatically matched, as will the common child.

That process can be repeated throughout an entire family branch, matching Family records and their associated Individual records, all in one Merge Records dialogue session.

Valkrider
Megastar

Postby Valkrider » 08 Sep 2017 11:36

I know that it is just identifying them in the family records window that takes the time.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 08 Sep 2017 11:55

You are missing the point Colin.

We are NOT talking about identifying them in the Records Window.

You select the two Fred Smith records directly from the Plugin Result Set and use Edit > Merge/Compare Records.
Within that Merge Records dialogue you select pairs of Family records that are associated with them.
You know they are the appropriate Family records because they are linked to the Individuals.
Then you can progressively work through the whole family structure.

BTW:
If you really do need to start from the Individual there are shortcuts to finding the Family record's Rec Id.
From the Focus Window left-click the blue bar that spans below the spouses to open Spouse Family record.
From the Records Window or the All tab of the Individual property box double-left-click the record name shown against Parents family or Spouse family.
In all those cases the Family record Property Box is opened and the Rec Id is in the Caption and the All tab.
Note that the big white arrows near top right let you navigate back and forth between recent records.

Jane
Site Admin

Postby Jane » 08 Sep 2017 12:00

I am obviously missing something here.

You can do it all from the Individual tab of the merge window, that way you can easily see both Families.

2017-09-08_130026.jpg
2017-09-08_130026.jpg (166.06 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Valkrider
Megastar

Postby Valkrider » 08 Sep 2017 12:31

I seem to be missing something here I don't see the blue bar you are talking about for instance Mike.

This is what I see
dup.JPG
dup.JPG (84.39 KiB) Viewed 1834 times

As you can see it want to merge the two James' and wants to add the two Esther's as different wives.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 08 Sep 2017 13:05

Colin, you are overlooking the details of our advice.

My 'BTW' was talking about finding Family record details outside the Merge Records dialogue.
I said "From the Focus Window left-click the blue bar that spans below the spouses to open Spouse Family record."

As illustrated in Jane's screenshot, and as I described, select the Spouse family in both Merge Into and Merge From panes, then click the Match button bottom left. That is same as you do to merge any other items.
That will not only merge the Spouse Family records and add them to a new Families tab, but also add the Esther [LEFEVER] records to the Individuals tab.

Valkrider
Megastar

Postby Valkrider » 08 Sep 2017 14:47

tatewise wrote:
As illustrated in Jane's screenshot, and as I described, select the Spouse family in both Merge Into and Merge From panes, then click the Match button bottom left.

What do you mean by this? How do you select the Spouse Family?

Totally confused.

Jane
Site Admin

Postby Jane » 08 Sep 2017 15:38

If you look at my screen shot you will see the word "Spou" is highlighted you highlight both and click on Match.
Jane

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 08 Sep 2017 16:42

But, just like any other multiple selections, select the words Spouse family in Merge Into pane, and then hold Ctrl key whilst selecting the words Spouse family in Merge From pane, and finally hit the Match button.
You select the words Spouse family by left-clicking on them until they are highlighted.
i.e.
Just as you would select two entries in say the Records Window or two files in File Explorer.

I guess you have never performed the Match process on any data items in this Merge Records dialogue

Valkrider
Megastar

Postby Valkrider » 08 Sep 2017 17:49

I have never seen the match dialog as I always just merge.

Now I understand I will give it a try tomorrow.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 08 Sep 2017 17:58

If you don't review all the data items and check what is being added/discarded by the default Merge, you may find some useful data gets discarded, or some data such as Facts get duplicated. The initial Merge status is just the best guess by the FH automatic matching.

Return to “Plugin Discussions”