* Quick Family Facts update

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Quick Family Facts update

Post by tatewise »

This next version adds Individual record [Rec Id] to each person and Family record [Rec Id] after = symbol for each Partner.

It also changes the title of Root Person to Family Root that reduces the potential confusion with File Root and better matches the Plugin name.

There are also some very minor fixes, mainly to avoid listing the same Partner twice when married twice to same person.

See Attachment Quick Family Facts Plugin Version 1.0.1 Date 24 Aug 2017 [now deleted].
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Quick Family Facts update

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

Looks good and works fine in PlayOnMac.

Can I suggest a little tweak? Can you change the colours of the Individual and Family id's to make them easier to see and less confusing? Maybe green for one and blue for the other? Or if not then bold for Individual and normal for Family
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin, I had wondered about making them more distinct.

Try Attachment Quick Family Facts Plugin Version 1.0.2 Date 24 Aug 2017 [now deleted].

This leaves Family [Rec Id] plain, and moves Individual [Rec Id] after (LifeDates) but still bold & coloured.

Is that distinct enough, or do the Individual [Rec Id] need to be always coloured black (or blue)?
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

This may be a limitation of PlayOnMac as I don't see any difference.
Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 13.59.08.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 13.59.08.png (123.03 KiB) Viewed 16841 times
Update

Definitely a PlayOnMac issue this screen shot is from my VM version
Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 14.06.20.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 14.06.20.png (58.22 KiB) Viewed 16839 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That looks correct - just the bold on PlayOnMac is not effective.

Does it give the distinction you were hoping for?
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Mike,

Thanks so much for adding record ID's into Quick Family Facts as we recently discussed. Along with the Alt-T-Q, makes it useful for quick cross reference to my TNG screens.

BTW...to change colors, one should one edit the .lua file, since there isn't a settings for the plugin, is there? I think I did that for version 1.00.

Thanks again!

Ron
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, there is a preset collection of colour attributes designed to cope with up to 15 family groups, that you can edit if needed.
FYI: There is a settings data file that remembers the Point size, Events option, and window size & position.
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Thanks Mike.
Would it be possible to make the Ref Id's optional , so that they could be left off if I was doing a screen shot for display or to send to someone?
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

It is better but would it be possible to make the family ID green (like a marriage certificate)? I just find that the black just disappears into the rest, maybe my old eyes.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try Attachment Quick Family Facts Plugin Version 1.0.3 Date 24 Aug 2017 [now deleted].

This has green Family = [Rec Id] and new [Rec Id] on/off toggle.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Thanks Mike that looks good to me.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Other possible refinements affect the No BMD Events mode.

Should the (m.1900) etc, that follows spouse names match their colour & bold, or be black (or green) & unbold?

My preference is black & unbold to match the events shown on separate lines in the Full/Brief BMD Events modes.

I'm also proposing to show the first of Divorce (d.1900) or Separation (s.1900) if there is no Marriage event.

BTW: Colin, have you tried increasing the Font Point size so the text is larger and easier to read?
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

tatewise wrote:Should the (m.1900) etc, that follows spouse names match their colour & bold, or be black (or green) & unbold?

My preference is black & unbold to match the events shown on separate lines in the Full/Brief BMD Events modes.
I've just had a look at this, and I agree that for consistency it would make sense for this to be black and unbold - and also, if possible, not part of the link for changing the root person. In the other modes the link is on the individual's name and dates only, so including the marriage here seems a bit anomalous.

Thank you too for making the [RecID] optional - it's something I never use, and from my point of view the more it stays hidden the better.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

I agree leave it black.

I have tried altering the font size in POM and it doesn't make any real difference, it seems to be the way that the font is rendered. I will have a play with the POM settings and see if I can improve the look of all dialog boxes, there are some issues with overlap of icons and menus also insufficient padding on windows in POM, it seems to be one of the limitations.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, try Attachment Quick Family Facts Plugin Version 1.0.4 Date 24 Aug 2017 [now deleted].

This does as suggested and leaves (m.year) suffixes in plain black for No BMD Events mode.
This mode also caters for Divorce and Separation if no Marriage.

As requested by Arthur, only each Name (Lifedates) [RecId] are highlighted active links.
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Because of your continuous openness to user input, this plugin, like your others, just keeps getting better and better Mike.

Thanks!
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Version 1.0.4 looking good here - thank you!
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Looks excellent Mike, as always.
...... I don't suppose there is any way to be able to click on the data in the property box without first closing the Quick Facts window? Having run one as a test I am now wondering exactly what my source was for some of the data and it would be good to be able to find out straight away without first having to close the QFF box.
So, for example, on the attached, now I come to look at it I don't think Henry Brugis was born in Edlesborough - or if he was what was the source since I don't think the registers go back that far. Similarly his daughter Elizabeth.
I have a feeling that this isn't possible since I think it is a different kind of box but no harm in asking - although this is Bank Holiday weekend and the weather is excellent for a change so shouldn't be sitting here at all really. :D
Attachments
Brugis Capture.JPG
Brugis Capture.JPG (212.62 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Currently no, because the Plugin Window is known as 'modal' and while open, the FH Window is frozen.

However, the new Create Individual Shortcut Plugin offers a technique whereby another instance of FH can be opened with the Focus on any chosen Individual. So, if that were integrated into QFF then it should be feasible to click somewhere and automatically open another instance of FH V6 with say the Family Root person as the Focus person.

Is that something that would be of interest?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Wilfreda99 wrote: I don't suppose there is any way to be able to click on the data in the property box without first closing the Quick Facts window?
Without detracting in any way from Mike’s excellent plugin, can I just remind you that you can do exactly what you want using a diagram. I work with diagrams all the time and very rarely use the Focus Window. I use a diagram text scheme that includes the information shown by the plugin, plus censuses with places and addresses. Clicking on an individual’s box in the diagram opens their Property Box, in just the way you want, without closing the diagram.

In Diagram Options you can limit the number of generations up and down that are displayed, to show just the core family you are working on. I have a fairly wide screen and keep the Property Box docked at the side. Sometimes with a large family it is necessary to scroll to and fro see everyone but I find this drawback is far outweighed by interactive nature of the diagram. I have used FH since before it had a Focus window and find diagram-based editing very intuitive, adding individuals using the drag-and-drop method in the diagram. I know this way of working doesn’t suit everyone but I feel sometimes the interactive aspect of diagrams is overlooked.
Lorna
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Hi Mike
Yes, I think it would be useful, thanks. :D

Lorna - Yes I use diagrams all the time too, they can be selected/ changed in multiple ways re size, shape, content etc. However all that takes time, and this QFF report allows a speedy and clear presentation of the main facts. See the 2 attachments, which are of the same information. Obviously I could tweak the diagram to make the info bigger, etc but that all takes time. I rarely, if ever, use reports.

Mike again - re the diagram attachment - is it possible to have some diagrams without the icons and some with? If I were going to print or show someone I probably wouldn't want the icons as I would have chosen the relevant view for the facts I wanted to include, eg my 'all facts' view that you helped me create some time ago.
Cheers
Chris
Attachments
clarke QFF.JPG
clarke QFF.JPG (226.19 KiB) Viewed 16502 times
clarke family tree.JPG
clarke family tree.JPG (121.95 KiB) Viewed 16502 times
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Wilfreda99 wrote: is it possible to have some diagrams without the icons and some with?
Yes, just use Diagram > Save Diagram AS > Custom Diagram Type to save each style with a distinctive name. Then to produce a diagram of the required style use View > Custom Diagram Types and select the one you want. This saves constantly 'tweaking' the content and colour scheme. I have a diagram type called WIP (Work in Progress) which I use to display all the info I want as described in my previous post.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

On reflection, I am not entirely comfortable with the idea of spawning another FH instance from the QFF Plugin.
For inexperienced users, it could cause confusion having the same Project open in two (or more) instances of FH, especially if they update data via the spawned instances, as that new data will NOT appear in the QFF Plugin window.

The QFF Plugin is primarily intended to provide a family snapshot with more BMD Facts than the Focus Window in order to help identify online Census and Electoral household records. Anyway, I suspect noting the person's Record Id and closing the QFF Plugin, then opening the Focus Window or Diagram Window to access that person's Property Box, will be quicker than spawning another FH instance.

I believe that Plugin snapshot is not so beneficial when investigating Source Citations and other data within the Project. The Focus Window and Diagram Window should be perfectly adequate for such purposes. Like Lorna, I have many Custom Diagram Types for different purposes.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

No - absolutely not sensible to open a second instance. The existing diagram buttons on fh allow you to hop from person to person and edit. And to understand the pattern of the family.

Mike designed this invaluable plug in its simplest original form to give a quick reference list of the birth and married surnames of all siblings and children - this is the standard view in TMG and invaluable in picking out complex cousin relationships. Particularly via marriage and wives. Mike's adding place names, makes it even more useful.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Quick Family Facts Plugin Version 1.1 Date 06 Sep 2017 is now in Plugin Store and Attachments to this thread deleted.

Some users in the Plugin Store have asked about a Print button for this Plugin.
Recreating the Plugin window in a printable colour format is remarkably difficult.
However, every current Windows version has the built-in free Snipping Tool that can grab a screen-shot and print or save that.
See fhugdownloads:contents:utility_windows_snipping_tool|> Utility ~ Windows Snipping Tool.