* Citations from TMG

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Citations from TMG

Post by tatewise »

I have started this thread for toriljoy from the request in Citations from TMG (14545) in the Importing and Exporting Forum, but anybody is welcome to join in.

The Move some Text From Source to Where Within Source Plugin Version 0.1 Date 16 Jan 2017 is attached and easily downloaded into FH.

This Plugin can easily be edited to detect any words you like.
Just use Tools > Plugins > More>>, select the Plugin, and click Edit.
Then on Line 13 you will see local arrFind = { "page "; "p."; "vol."; }
This is the list of trigger words to be detected, each enclosed in "string quotes" and separated by semicolons (;).

Simply change the list and use File > Save to save the changes, then run the Plugin as normal.

For example toriljoy wanted a list of Norwegian triggers:
local arrFind = { "side "; "s."; "nr."; "nr "; "linje "; "l."; }

Those need a little explanation :-
1) They must always use lower case letters, but any mixture of upper & lower case will be detected.
2) They will only be detected if they start the Text From Source field, start a new line, or are preceded by a space character.
3) They should have a space character or an unusual character like a dot (.) at the end just before the closing string quote (").
Last edited by tatewise on 31 Jan 2024 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Citations from TMG

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, I ran your plug in - unedited - Thank you. It has reduced my list of citations that need editing to 58.

All Birth Marriage and Death.

If I try again, the plug in says there are no instances to be found.

I cant think of the reason that the following for instance (data disguised) is not found and moved

Elisabeth Laura Roberts 1908 Qu: Jul-Aug-Sep Kensington Volume: 1a Page: 425

What do you think?

I do often write the name in as it stands in the register. I have many Germans who anglicized their names - both forenames and surnames on going to USA or UK. Even if it was only to change the spelling.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The reason your sample does not get triggered is that the Plugin is looking for "page " with a space after page whereas your sample has a colon (:), so the Plugin line needs to be edited as explained earlier to make the key word "page:" instead.

Computers are very pedantic about such searches, and while you and I might think that Page: is a good match, computer logic does not.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. I think this may take more time than I have at the moment. as I somehow lost a couple of attempted postings to this board.

I wanted to ask you whether the plug in moved the data only when it could do so without truncating to fit the fh Where in source field? In some Projects, tho not this one, I have a lot of text in the text from source field. Plus a page number too.

I edited to remove the gap. That worked well.

When I then add a colon as in page:, it finds nothing.

Which means I havent managed to deal with census entries even when they have the word page in them

I would much appreciate your advice on how to deal with census references like this. And an example line for the plug in?

Class: RG13; Piece: 125; Folio: 29; Page: 49.

My 1911 references dont have the word page at all.

RG14PN76 RG78PN3 RD1 SD3 ED8 SN239

I have rewritten my custom query so it shows the instances of RG14 in the Text from Source field so I am not sure why I did it wrong when it came to your plug in?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There is no effective limit to the length of the Where within Source field in FH.
You may need to use the left/right arrow keys on keyboard to navigate through long text.
When exported to another product, that may impose length limits, although these days it is rare.

If the Text From Source field has multiple lines of text, the Plugin converts it to one long line with a tilde ( ~ ) replacing each newline, so that it is valid for the Where within Source field.

The line for the Plugin to cope with all your cases would be:
local arrFind = { "page "; "page:"; "p."; "vol."; "rg14"; }
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. That fixed it.

Thank you for explaining the text situation. Very reassuring. I had misunderstood the original discussion of how and why citation fields transfer from TMG to FH and then mis-read the name of your plug in. Got the wrong idea that it transferred only some of the text, rather than some of the "Text from Source" fields.

To the person who asked why I wanted to move the citation data to the Where in Source field.

I began using fh by starting a brand new project. My very first fh report (which I needed Mike's help to produce!) was sent to an archival historian who replied and also asked what new software I was using. Saying how good she thought my footnotes were. Of course my data from the new project was uncharacteristically clean, but I have found entering sources very simple to understand and easy to do in fh and the source and citation fields comes out equally easy to understand in a report.

How nice to have someone say your new software is good!

But when I tried to write a similar report from my imported Project, those headings from fh which she found so useful become a pain because they didnt hold the expected information.

There is really no need to have it all neat and tidy. I fling information into databases so my own report output has never been tidy. But I thought it would be nice to bring reports on imported projects up to that fh level. And Mike's plug in gets one there without too much labour at a time when I have a lot of other work to do.

The matter of presentation may be trivial - but I am grateful.
toriljoy
Family Historian: V6

Post by toriljoy »

The plugin is great, thank you! Easy to use and worked as expected.

I still have a little job with sources that does not have pages or numbers, such as internet databases, emails, oral information etc. I am sure I can find more triggers and the remaining will be done manually.

You have been a great help.
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Mike

I think that I could make use of your plugin above but I'm not sure if it is compatible with FH7. No worry if it isn't as I'm sure that you have plenty of other things with greater priority to do.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Brian, it seems to be compatible with FH v7 but remember that if the Text From Source field contains Rich Text formatting that will be lost when moved to the Where Within Source field and becomes just plain text.
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Thanks Mike. I am 99.9% certain that I haven't used Rich Text so that should not cause me a problem.

Brian