* V6.2.2 Export GEDCOM error message

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
sheepdip11
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

V6.2.2 Export GEDCOM error message

Post by sheepdip11 »

For more than a year have been running FH on Dropbox and updating FH from either pc or laptop -if away from home.
Export GEDCOM from the pc to my TNG website always worked ok .Today I exported GEDCOM from my laptop to the TNG website for the first time. It deleted my GEDCOM on the website; although the media is still there. FH seems to be all ok on my pc.
Here is the message when I select Export GEDCOM file from Tools on pc or laptop (I haven't a clue what it means):

[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\..."]:532:
Unable to open file in "wb" mode.
C:\Users\hannaway1\Dropbox\Family Historian Projects\HannawayByrnes Family\Public\Export\HannawayByrnes Family TNG UTF8.ged
C:\Users\hannaway1\Dropbox\Family Historian Projects\HannawayByrnes Family\Public\Export\HannawayByrnes Family TNG UTF8.ged: No such file or directory

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\..."]:532: in function 'OpenFile'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\..."]:6469: in function 'ExportGedcom'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\..."]:6349: in function <[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\..."]:6345>
(tail call): ?
[C]: in function 'MainLoop'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\..."]:2283: in function 'ShowDialogue'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\..."]:6420: in function 'GUI_MainDialogue'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\..."]:6569: in main chunk
tatewise
Megastar

Re: V6.2.2 Export GEDCOM error message

Post by tatewise »

Sorry about that, but you are not alone.

It is the same problem as reported in Export GEDCOM file plugin (14054) by John Morrison on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:10 pm.

Try the revised Plugin ATTACHMENT in that Export GEDCOM file plugin (14054) latest posting by me, which should fix the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Mike,
Thanks for your reply. I used the suggested Export GEDCOM Plugin and this time did not get the "stack...."error message. However the exported GEDCOM file when imported to TNG still deletes all individuals as before.
My FH program continues to work ok on my pc. I've saved earlier exported GEDCOM in ANSI format but have never had to restore a GEDCOM on FH- it's certainly a stable program .
Is there a way to confirm the corruption is in the exported GEDCOM file? since the fault might be with Import on my TNG site.
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes Peter, here are a few things to check.
Is it only Individual records that are deleted, or are Source records, and other records also missing?

Check you are transferring the correct Gedcom file to TNG.
Note the Export folder path shown in the Plugin just above the Export GEDCOM... button.
To be absolutely sure, use the Win/File Explorer button in the closing Memo dialogue to open the correct folder.

Check your Plugin settings.
In your original posting the filename identifies character encoding (UTF8) UTF-8 with BOM.
Whereas your latest posting mentions ANSI format which is NOT supported by TNG.
Did you customise any settings on the Extra Options or Other Options tabs?
If so, are they still correct, but it's unlikely that they would remove all Individual records.

In the Plugin closing Memo dialogue choose the Family Historian button.
That will open the exported TNG Gedcom in FH, where you can skip the import error reports.
But the Individual and all other records will still be imported OK for you to verify their presence in the Gedcom.
Do NOT use Save or let Auto-Save update the Gedcom file.

I know you have performed it regularly before but just double check the advice in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tng_the_next_generation|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TNG) The Next Generation.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Mike, many thanks for your prompt reply.
• On my TNG web site: Individuals, Families and Sources are deleted. Places and all Media files remain OK.
• Have rechecked Export GEDCOM Plug-in settings and that the Export path to Dropbox is correct.
• In the Plug-in closing memo I viewed it using Family Historian button. Can’t say I understand it but saved it as a PDF - instead of in ANSI.
• I decided to restore the last FH Backup from when it was ok. The Exported GEDCOM file size was still about the same as the faulty GEDCOM. When imported to my TNG website it successfully repopulated all the individuals correctly. So all is now well!
The original loss of all Individuals on TNG website was after my first Export GEDCOM to FH (located on Dropbox) uploaded from my laptop rather than from pc. Am still am none the wiser why the fault occurred.
Thanks again for your help.
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That really is very weird.
There is no way the Plugin can create a PDF file, and it also should not be an ANSI file, because you are exporting in UTF-8 format. So from what you say, FH would not open the exported file because it was in PDF format?

With your Project suitably synchronised via DropBox can you try the Export Gedcom File on both desktop and laptop (with a delay in between) and check the exported Gedcom file transfers to TNG Ok for both PC.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Hi Mike,
I remain unable to successfully Export a GEDCOM to Dropbox.
• The original default FH project is:
C:\Users\User\Dropbox\Family Historian Projects\HannawayByrnes Family
• Opening this FH project in FH program gives message:
Unable to open file C:\Users\User\Dropbox\Family Historian Projects\HannawayByrnes Family HannawayByrnes Family.fh_data\HannawayByrnes Family.ged. File Path is not valid

If I open this .fh_data folder in Dropbox HannawayByrnes Family.ged is there.
• Have restored FH from a Full Backup (5th August when all was ok). FH program renames project - with suffix (2), thus:
C:\Users\User\Dropbox\Family Historian Projects\HannawayByrnes Family (2)

\HannawayByrnes Family (2) is selected as FH project Default and operates perfectly until I Export GEDCOM (vers 2.8-19Aug). Then FH resets and media file links seem to be broken. For example Documents appear in Diagram boxes and Media Flags have disappeared.
• Run Tools\Work with External File Links – all ok. Ran Auto Repair Links: “No bad links found”.
• Have rechecked Export GEDCOM settings and destination in Dropbox: I have the Dropbox Export folder open and watch it Empty using the Plugin
I have not opened my laptop since 8th August in case Dropbox and FH synchronise it.
Cannot Export a GEDCOM to TNG with media links so my website remains down.
I don't mind Restoring Full Backup from 5th August again if needed. Can send screenshots if it helps.
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Peter, you do seem to be experiencing a number of strangely inconsistent errors.
You are probably wise to keep your laptop closed until these issues are resolved.

It would be useful if you could attach a screenshot of your FH File > Project Window including the FH Projects list and the Location in full.

Also attach a screenshot of the Export Gedcom File Plugin including its export folder path in full, but do not run the plugin.

The best way forward is to reset to defaults & establish a working baseline, before restoring your current custom settings.
So try the following:
  1. In FH use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Project List > Reset Location to Installation Default to reset Location to Documents\Family Historian Projects instead of using Dropbox.
  2. Use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project to reset the Family Historian Sample Project and check that project behaves as expected.
  3. Now run the Export Gedcom File Plugin on that FH Sample Project with whatever TNG options you prefer, and in the closing Memo choose to open the exported Gedcom in Family Historian. There should only be a few dozen INFO ONLY messages mostly for _PRIM and FORM UDF.
  4. Restore your HannawayByrnes Family full backup from 5th August, and check it behaves as expected.
  5. Perform the checks in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:export_gedcom_file|> Export Gedcom File Plugin under To avoid potential problems, it is advisable, before running the Plugin, to use the following such as File » Validate and Tools » Find Uncategorised Data and Tools » External File Links.
  6. Now run the Export Gedcom File Plugin on your restored project, but first use its Restore Defaults button lower left before exporting with whatever TNG options you prefer as above, and open the exported Gedcom in Family Historian.
  7. If that is successful, then transfer the exported Gedcom to TNG.
Please report back on the success or otherwise of the above process.
If there are error messages, then take a screenshot, and attach them here, up to a max of 3 attachments per posting.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Export GEDCOM file Plugin &path.jpg
Export GEDCOM file Plugin &path.jpg (233.58 KiB) Viewed 11345 times
Thanks Mike,
Attached the screenshots you requested.
I have stopped after item 3 to check progress with you. In Closing Memo FH produced an Exception report (see below). Ran Validation and FH reported-Validation complete. No errors fond. (Have never had to run Validation previous to this fault, during Export GEDCOM).
Will post separately a screenshot of Closing Memo Validation alert.
After looking at the Closing Memo PDF is it ok to proceed to item 4?
Peter

Family Historian Exception Report - Sunday 21 Aug 2016
=========================================================
Lines marked "EXCLUDED:" indicate data which has not
been loaded, and explain why it wasn't loaded.

Indented lines marked "EXCLUDED BRANCH LINE:" indicate
data lines which are not necessarily invalid in
themselves but which have had to be excluded as a
consequence of excluding other lines.

Lines marked "INFO ONLY:" indicate data that has
been successfully loaded, but where special action
was needed to load it (e.g. GEDCOM errors detected
and automatically corrected by Family Historian).

---------------------------------------------------------

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I1. Record Number=2.
l.291 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 HUSB "
l.292 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 33y"
l.293 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 WIFE "
l.294 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 28y"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I59. Record Number=44.
l.1575 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 HUSB "
l.1576 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 33y"
l.1577 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 WIFE "
l.1578 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 28y"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I92. Record Number=75.
l.2257 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 HUSB "
l.2258 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 33y"
l.2259 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 WIFE "
l.2260 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 28y"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I114. Record Number=97.
l.2765 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 HUSB "
l.2766 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 33y"
l.2767 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 WIFE "
l.2768 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 28y"

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I115. Record Number=98.
l.2806 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 HUSB "
l.2807 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 33y"
l.2808 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "2 WIFE "
l.2809 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "3 AGE 28y"

INFO ONLY: Fixed incorrectly-handled word-wrapping throughout the file.

---------------------------------------------------------
The numeric portion of Gedcom Ids have been retained as Record Ids. Use these to match entries to records.
Attachments
Export Gedcom File 2.8 ~ Standard GEDCOM 5.5 UTF8_SampleProj_21Aug.pdf
(27.49 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
FH Project Window_21Aug.jpg
FH Project Window_21Aug.jpg (175.35 KiB) Viewed 11345 times
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Mike
Here is Validation request during Export GEDCOM of Sample Project in Default location.
Many thanks
Peter
Attachments
Export GEDCOM Sample_Closing &Validation.jpg
Export GEDCOM Sample_Closing &Validation.jpg (223.88 KiB) Viewed 11344 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In step 3. you have NOT set your (TNG) The Next Generation export mode, but otherwise it looks OK. So please repeat step 3. with your TNG plugin export settings.

In the Validating GEDCOM File window choose the 2nd option so it says Word-wrapping has been handled correctly.

BTW: It is clear that your Dropbox HannawayByrnes Family Project has a problem because its Last Updated date is 01/01/1971 00:00.
There is also a problem with the Mcgrath project folder names. The root folder, project file (.fh_proj), .fh_data folder, and Gedcom file must all have the same name.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for pointing out the McGrath Anna's Family project name differences (there are 2 McGrath families projects!) The FH Project, .fh data & GEDCOM files are all named Mcgrath only. Which file(s) should I rename to rationalise please?
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Paddy McGrath - 2010-08-01 1020 project would appear to have all four folders/files with matching names, although the date & time suffix is very similar to the FH Backup ZIP filename convention.
Please confirm the FH Project, .fh data & GEDCOM filenames do all match.

Regarding the other project, I suggest you use Windows/File Explorer to Rename the root folder from Mcgrath, Anna's Family to just Mcgrath to obtain consistency.

Then, if you prefer some other project name, you can use FH File > Project Window > More Tasks > Rename Project.

Once that is satisfactory you can get back to the Export Gedcom File process.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Hi Mike,
Following your instructions I have restored the 05/082016 Full Backup to the FH Default Location and FH and media run normally until Export GEDCOM Plugin is run.
After restoring the project:
• Go to MyDocs\ HannawayByrnes Family.fh_data. Noted a 2nd GEDCOM and a Backup Folder! see screenshot.
Deleted 2nd GEDCOM file (HannawayByrnes Family (User-PC's conflicted copy 2016-05-02))
Prior to running Export GEDCOM Plugin:
Tools, deleted Export GEDCOM Plugin. Reinstalled Export GEDCOM Plugin.
File, Validate-Validation Complete- No Errors (or word-wrap errors).
Find Uncategorised Data = 0 UDF (Individuals & bookmarks & Work in Progress)
Tools » External File Links= all checked-all media OK.
• Run Full Backup of project. (one FH screen tab only)
• Go to TNG web site - rechecked that all settings were as before, checked FHUG Knowledge base Help page for TNG Export GEDCOM. All was as it should be.
• Open Export GEDCOM Plugin (Plugin opens in 2nd FH tab). Restore Defaults and select TNG and UTF8 with BOM settings.
• Run Export GEDCOM - see Screenshot:
• Opened ... in FH, Validating GEDCOM file appears, select option 2. Saved GEDCOM Report.
• Allow FH Validate GEDCOM file for errors. Validate complete. No Errors found.
• Still 2 FH screen tabs running.
• Go to: C:\Users\User\Documents\Family Historian Projects\HannawayByrnes Family\HannawayByrnes Family.fh_data. The GEDCOM file is 984Kb.
• Go to: C:\Users\User\Documents\Family Historian Projects\HannawayByrnes Family\Public\Export. The GEDCOM file size is 1.1Mb Are the different GEDCOM file sizes expected?
• Import GEDCOM file from: C:\Users\User\Documents\Family Historian Projects\HannawayByrnes Family\Public\Export (strictly as above).
• Finished Importing GEDCOM in TNG =0 People!
• Opened left-hand FH screen tab (original) all media ok.
• Opened right-hand FH tab - from Export GEDCOM Plugin. Then opened an individual and diagram. Can hear hard drive FH reloading files and diagram appears with damaged media links (see screenshot). Media files Flags are ignored as documents appear in plain diagram boxes . See screenshot:
• Right-hand FH tab, File, Exit, Backup current GEDCOM before exiting?, Skip .
Hope you can help
Peter
Attachments
23Aug_run Export GEDCOM.jpg
23Aug_run Export GEDCOM.jpg (80.6 KiB) Viewed 11288 times
23Aug_FH after Export GEDCOM_screen tab.jpg
23Aug_FH after Export GEDCOM_screen tab.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 11288 times
23Aug_05Aug2016 Restore .fh_data.jpg
23Aug_05Aug2016 Restore .fh_data.jpg (31.59 KiB) Viewed 11288 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Peter.
It is quite likely that the exported Gedcom file size will be greater than the original for several reasons, but mainly because each Media Record link becomes a separate Local Media entry that replicates all the Media fields. Also if you have used Link to Face/Detail several times for the same Media image then there will be many more Media files, which explains why the hard drive is so busy displaying a Diagram as it builds its image cache.

Perhaps you have never opened an exported TNG Gedcom in FH before.
Since TNG has no Exclude from Diagrams/Reports flags, every Media item on the Individual Media tab will be displayed against that Individual, and the Pref 1 entry will be marked as the TNG _PRIMary image.
So presumably you have some Document Media linked to some Individual Media tabs with Pref 1.
If you open the Individual Media tab of say Rose HANAWAY and Bartholomew MCGUINNESS in both original Project and exported Gedcom with Show Face frame selected, then all the same Media part-frame images will be displayed.

Similarly, if you use Tools > External File Links in both, then all the Media should be listed OK, bearing in mind you have chosen PART~LMO for media, so there may be many replicas in the exported case.
If you use the Plugin export option for FULL~ABS instead, then the number of Media files and the Gedcom file size will be the same for both original Project and exported Gedcom, because then no part-frames nor Local Media are involved.

I'm not sure why TNG imports no people, because from your 23Aug_FH after Export GEDCOM_screen tab.jpg the Individual records are all present and correct with plenty of Facts and Media.

However, one thing I overlooked, is that after running the Plugin and choosing the Family Historian closing option, FH may update the exported Gedcom with Place records and other fields it thinks are necessary. Thus the exported Gedcom may no longer be entirely TNG compatible. So run the Plugin again, and choose the Close Memo option, before importing to TNG.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have given the TNG importing problem a bit more thought.

I hope you've set the TNG Language options to UTF-8.
If left at the default ISO-8859-1 encoding then I suspect the Gedcom file will NOT be decoded and so nothing is imported.

Are the Import/Export > GEDCOM Import settings correct?

The Plugin Help & Advice also says: "If this is not the first upload, then you may need to clear the tree in TNG first."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter, have not heard from you for over a week ~ how are things progressing?
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Hi Mike
Thanks for asking but am still unable to import CEDCOM into the TNG Import/Export folder.
In answer to your questions: yes have checked TNG language is UTF8 and rechecked the location of the GEDCOM folder. I'm reluctant to clear TNG tree before import as I will have to reload all my media, there are hundreds and are imported one at a time using the exported GEDCOM file Media Links.
I am content that I have a valid GEDCOM file on the website- on the server I can access the exported GEDCOM file and it opens FH in its UTF8 format (i.e. first media file displays in diagram boxes). It just times out when importing into TNG Import/Export folder. However when opening the GEDCOM, FH does do a Validation check for word-wrap with No Errors found; I wouldn't have thought this would stop it importing...
The TNG Forum weren't very forthcoming so I emailed Darrin Lythgoe ( TNG program designer). He recommended I reduce the length of the TNG file name on the server and match it on the Root Path file name; that's done (strange, it always worked with the old file name!)
Family Historian is now working fine on my pc, it's back on Dropbox and synchronising ok with my laptop.
Am off to Ireland on Tuesday for a week purely for more family history. So FH is ok on laptop, TNG is running on the website with its backup of 4th August restored ok-I'll leave it till I return.
Many thanks for your help
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Peter.
As it says in the Plugin Help & Advice plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tng_the_next_generation|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TNG) The Next Generation under Import/Export > GEDCOM Import:
To avoid upload time-outs, it is best to transfer the Gedcom file to the TNG GEDCOM folder, and Media files to the media folder, using an FTP utility...
With an FTP utility you can usually bulk select files rather than one by one. See also FTP Website Manager Plugin.

The Validation word-wrap check does not affect TNG at all. It is simply that Gedcom from different programs sometimes misinterpret the specification for handling very longs lines that need wrapping, and FH is catering for all possibilities.

Did you see my Export Gedcom File ~ Preferred Media (14125) proposed change to handle Exclude from Diagrams?

Enjoy your trip...
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Hi Mike
The on-going saga of Import GEDCOM failures to TNG is at an end. Hooray!
I still cannot put it down to any one cause. There was some inference from TNG that my web site server running MySQL in Strict Mode wouldn't be recognised by TNG.
However following the latest upgrade of TNG to v11.0.2 it immediately loaded my GEDCOM file. I've since added more media, imported further GEDCOM updates and backed up with TNG's internal Backup Tables feature.
Oh by the way I did have a great trip to Ireland thanks. Hours of audio and video. The locals in rural Ireland know everyone for miles around; with an encyclopaedic recall of their ancestors, who they married. And all in their heads! So you go back 150 years and most people are related because travel was limited to you walking or a horse and cart.
Family Historian on my laptop was really impressive.
Regards
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Phew! Thank you for the feedback.