* Export Gedcom File for GedSite but no _SDATE

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Export Gedcom File for GedSite but no _SDATE

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'd be curious how you'd derive a sort date, as per the Is it possible to date a note? (16008) Tue 19th Jun 2018 posting, for my 'difficult case' (no name, no marriage, no parents or children, and no way of dating a note) -- pure intellectual curiosity.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Export Gedcom File for GedSite but no _SDATE

Post by tatewise »

It would use the [[ Sort Date: 1 Jan 1900 ]] style of labelled Note option in the Family record Note.
You may recall that format was introduced prior to the LMO Sort Date concept, but is still supported by Plugins.
Then when the Fam Note is created it would detect the Sort Date: label in the Note and create an _SDATE tag.
The Plugin has an option to remove [[ notes ]] completely if that was needed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thanks -- I can use that if need be (I'd forgotten it was there).

However, I have a sort date problem... The _SDATEs are present in my project file, but are vanishing from the exported gedcom (GST Export mode).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Helen, I'm confused.
It would be extremely unusual if you have _SDATE tags in your master Project file, as they are not usually allowed by FH.
I can only assume you mean LMO Sort Date items with Title and Date subsidiary fields.

They should convert to _SDATE tags in the exported GEDCOM file when Export Gedcom File is used with the (+) Full Data and (GST) GedSite export modes. BTW: (-) Brief Data mode will inhibit _SDATE tags.
When the Plugin completes, choose the Windows Notepad option and use Edit > Find to search for _SDATE tags. Are you saying there are none at all?

BTW: The concept in my previous reply has NOT been implemented for Family record Note fields converted to Fam Note events. It is just a strategy that I had prototyped in my development Plugin.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

In my project file I have LMO Sort Date objects (created with the Order Facts by Sort Date, with some subsequent manual adjustment to a few) and a few [[Sort Date]] notes.

There are none in the export output file (already checked)

Export settings are:
Screenshot 2018-06-19 14.53.45.png
Screenshot 2018-06-19 14.53.45.png (38.2 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
Screenshot 2018-06-19 14.53.51.png
Screenshot 2018-06-19 14.53.51.png (61.49 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
Screenshot 2018-06-19 14.53.58.png
Screenshot 2018-06-19 14.53.58.png (39.47 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
Screenshot 2018-06-19 14.54.06.png
Screenshot 2018-06-19 14.54.06.png (72.76 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is a mystery. I have replicated your settings exactly as your screenshots (thank you) and it works OK here.

Please confirm you are using the Windows Notepad option offered in the Memo popup box offered at the end of running the Plugin in order to search for _SDATE tags.

In the Result Set for the Plugin, in the Action column, are there any Add Fact Sort Dates ( GST+ RMT+ ) entries?

Has this problem only just started, or has there never ever been any exported _SDATE tags?

The only suggestion I can think of is on the Extra Options tab, note your options, click Reset these GST+ Options, then restore your original noted options.

Try running Order Facts by Sort Date and then Export Gedcom File on the FH Sample Project.
You can Edit > Undo their changes afterwards. Does that produce _SDATE tags?

BTW:
The Plugin requires 2 OBJE and 3 TITL Sort Date and 3 _DATE ... on successive lines to recognise each LMO Sort Date.
It also recognises any 2 DATE ... lines, and 2 NOTE lines with Sort Date: labels.
Any of the above create _SDATE tags, so even with no detected LMO Sort Dates it should produce some _SDATE tags.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm using UltraEdit in text mode (my goto multipurpose editor) to search for the _SDATE tags but they don't show in Windows Notepad either,

No Add Sort Fact Date actions.

It used to work as I tested it when you first did the work to implement it.

I've done as you suggest on the FH Sample project -- it create sort dates in the sample project but not the export.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The mystery deepens, and I am sorry you are having this problem.
(The reason I advise using Windows Notepad via the Memo popup is that guarantees the actual exported GEDCOM is examined.)
The lack of Add Fact Sort Dates ( GST+ RMT+ ) actions confirms that Rule is not being invoked and fits with no _SDATE tags.
In your main Project did you try the click Reset these GST+ Options strategy to reset all the Rules?

When running Export Gedcom File on the FH Sample Project, you did set (GST) GedSite export mode?

As a last resort try downloading the Export Gedcom File Plugin again, but that is clutching at straws.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike,

I can confirm that I clicked Reset these GST+ Options without improvement; I also deleted and reinstalled the plugin, which didn't work.

I then deleted the plugin data file and recreated the settings, and am now getting _SDATE tags in the output.

As you say, a mystery but at least I'm up and running again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Helen, I am glad that is resolved, but surprised that it did not work for the FH Sample Project.
However, you are back working again now.
The Restore Defaults button might have done the trick.
Deleting the Plugin Data file is a recurring fix, so I might start incorporating that into the Restore Defaults button, i.e. delete the Plugin Data file and then re-establish the default settings.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Maybe with a warning to make a note of the settings that will need to be restored ;)
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I have read this thread with interest because I now have time at last to think about importing my TMG Projects to fh, using Mike's plug in to fix the sort dates.
And using the plug in on my real fh projects (as opposed to back up copies).

I have not attempted to use GEDsite, or try an export with sort dates because my web trees were hosted by Rootsweb and their free sites have not been restored. I am hoping they will be.
Because I dont know other free sites to which one can upload an HTML site (as opposed to Google sites where one has a pre-designed format and uploads files).
May be that is a reason to postpone a little longer.

But if you want me to do some experimenting with the plug in, just say.