* Map Life Facts - filtering?

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Map Life Facts - filtering?

Post by AdrianBruce »

As I've said, I'm doing an audit of my Places, and their co-ordinates that Geocoding has (or hasn't) given them. Perthshire has been an absolute pig due to the number of rural places that are hardly more than single farms - I'd call them ferm-touns if I was certain what that term meant.

Map Life Facts is by far the best facility for doing or reviewing geocodes of single places of that sort - I currently have Map Pane Mode set to Leaflet Maps and use the NLS Historic Maps accessible from the stack icon on the map - these appear to be the 1 inch maps, which will often show the farm settlement in question. (And if they don't, the farm is probably on the 6 or 35 inch on the NLS, which is reasonably easy to visually translate)

What is more of a pain is navigating from one Perthshire place to the next in Map Life Facts because (as far as I know) I can only navigate with the full list of places in Map Life Facts.

Mike - assuming that I've not missed an obvious way to filter stuff by place-name parts like "Perthshire", is there any possibility that you could enhance things to include a filter - or any other means - to allow someone to just use the "Next ..." facility when trying to audit a county or something? (Given the number of ways the plug-in can store its data, I'm unclear how feasible this would be.)
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Map Life Facts - filtering?

Post by tatewise »

Adrian, I understand your problem and will give it some thought.
My gut reaction is that perhaps the Place names could be listed by the plugin in reverse part order.
i.e.
Similar to Tools > Work with Data > Places... with Reverse Display Order ticked.
Then Scotland, Perthshire, ... Place records would be consecutive in the Place List and the Next buttons would step through the Perthshire places.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks Mike.

I have no concept, of course, of what the data "inside" the plug-in looks like - but every time I do try to imagine it, the idea of filtering as such, looks fearsome. Reversing the order of the elements was the one angle that seemed to be vaguely, possibly, feasible and would certainly work for me. Not filtering as such but pretty much equally effective.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try the attached Map Life Facts Plugin Version 4.8.4 Date 06 Jul 2021.
[ Attachment deleted as superseded by a later version. ]

This affects the Place List obtained by clicking the Location box on the Geocode Location Plots tab.
The sorted list can either show Place names as normal or with their Place parts in reverse order.
c.f. The FH Tools > Work with Data > Places/Addresses... tick option Reverse Display Order.

Those modes are governed by the Set Preference Options tab, Location Plot Options tab, Reverse Display Order setting.

When Reverse Display Order is enabled, Places in the same region will be sorted together in the Place List assuming they have a consistent comma-separated part format such as ‘Town, County, Country’ as recommended.
e.g. All places in ****, Perthshire, Scotland will be adjacent in the Place List, and the Next ... buttons will step through those places in Perthshire, Scotland.
Last edited by tatewise on 28 Jul 2021 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

That appears to be absolutely what I need, thanks.

I've run through Lanarkshire (much smaller problem than Perthshire) and that appeared to work easily. I do have to make two passes for any given Australian state since I terminate my pre-1901 places with the colony name but that's no issue. Ditto Canada except I think there might be more than two for some places.

Once again, thanks hugely.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for the idea, I can see it will be very beneficial.

I've had a rethink overnight and instead of having the Reverse Display Order setting on the Options tabs, it seems much more user friendly to put it in the Place List popup dialogue itself.

So try the attached Map Life Facts Plugin Version 4.8.5 Date 07 Jul 2021.

Let me know if you are happy with this adjustment.
Last edited by tatewise on 28 Jul 2021 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Yes - that makes the reversing much easier to find, many thanks.

All seems fine to me....
Adrian
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Mike - I have an inconsistent issue.

I'm currently auditting Devon, so I have Reverse Display Order set. I started with England, Devon, Barnstaple, and worked through to England, Devon, Bishops Nympton. The next is England, Devon, Devonport and sometimes what happens is that when I click Next Plotted to get from BN to Devonport, then the map does not change apart from that the push-pin vanishes. Zooming out shows that the push-pin itself has moved and but I need to drag the map around and zoom back in to check the detail of the position.

On one occasion the Next Plotted failed to move the map several times in succession and - I think it was on this occasion - the plug-in actually closed abnormally. On other occasions, I repeated Devon and it all ran through fine or it only failed to moved the map once.

All Devon places are actually plotted apart from one, which is blocked.

All a bit inconsistent I'm afraid....
Adrian
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

I think I've found how to break it...

Use Next Plotted to get to the next place, use + to zoom in, then use Next Plotted and the map doesn't move. (It does seem to reset the zoom level but that's all - the centre doesn't move)

If I don't zoom, then it passes to the next smoothly, moving the map to the next place quite happily.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for that feedback. I can repeat the effect, but only when using one of the Leaflet Maps and not Google Maps, and only on the Geocode Location Plots tab. Either + Zoom In or - Zoom Out causes the effect.

When displaying a new map it should always revert to the Map Zoom level chosen in the Options tabs.

FYI: A single left click on the map will centre it on the plot.

I will take a look at the script that performs the display of a new map and see if the repositioning can be cured.

Strangely, it seems to work correctly on the Create Web Page Maps tab. Can you confirm that?
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

I can repeat the effect, but only when using one of the Leaflet Maps and not Google Maps, ...
How interesting - I agree. (And it happens whether I'm going in reverse order or not). I suspect that I'd actually not used the Leaflet maps in ages and it was only because they include the NLS Maps that I started using them again.
A single left click on the map will centre it on the plot.
Oh! Learn something new every day... (As it normally works, I'd never discovered that).
it seems to work correctly on the Create Web Page Maps tab. Can you confirm that?
Confirmed.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try the attached Map Life Facts Plugin Version 4.8.6 Date 08 Jul 2021 that seems to fix the problem.

The pan & zoom operations always needed small time delays but Leaflet Maps is now given a little longer.
Last edited by tatewise on 28 Jul 2021 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks Mike - that seems to fix the issue for me as well. I tried the Leaflet "ordinary" maps and the Leaflet NLS maps, just in case. All OK.
Adrian
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ron Melby »

mike,

I get the following error:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (136.88 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
if I click the ok, of course I get Map Action Sync Failed, and cannot continue.

I can really use the reverse function which is why I loaded it over the MLF that worked.

my sig has the correct particulars of my installation. please remember I had a problematical api key which I think you fixed some releases ago, and I am using place fields only and address fields only, and bias us.

it also shows 0 mapped.
Last edited by tatewise on 28 Jul 2021 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicated attachment removed
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is very strange. I cannot reproduce that error.
The mapfacts.js file line 222 is not as long as 112 characters in my version. Actually, very few lines are that long.

Please run the plugin so it creates the file C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Plugin Data\mapfacts.js
In your Reply please Attach that mapfacts.js file so I can analyse its contents.
Then you can close the plugin, which deletes that file.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

I changed its name to .txt to send it, as I remember there are certain file types not allowed for security, and not sure this was one of them. but I am not going to send it to the bitbucket. seems the only way I can count it, out to 112, you have an lua comment not a .js comment. so like maybe it hits 33 for a variable name, and says goodbye.
Attachments
mapfacts.txt
(10.98 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are correct. Sorry, my mistake.

So try the attached Map Life Facts Plugin Version 4.8.7 Date 27 Jul 2021 that should fix that problem.
Last edited by tatewise on 24 Aug 2021 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted as later version is in the Plugin Store.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

I no longer receive the error. following instructions from 4.8.4. post you made I am at the set preference options. I see no setting to reverse.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (346.84 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In Version 4.8.5 on Wed 7th Jul 2021, I had a rethink and instead of the Reverse Display Order setting on the Options tabs, it seemed much more user friendly to put it in the Place List popup dialogue itself.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

found it. in the actual place picker window. ooh-er-- that's brill, that is.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
andrewlife
Silver

Post by andrewlife »

Hi Mike
I love Map Life-Facts, but I’m having problems finding the 'Reverse Display Order' setting for the Location pop-up. I am using FH:V7 under Windows 10 and Map Life-Facts V4.8, but cannot find the setting either under the 'Set Preference Options' tab or the 'Geocode Location Plots' tab. When I call up the Location list under 'Geocode Location Plots', I can’t see anywhere to set it on the pop-up window either: the only options I have are ‘Cancel Address-Place selection’, Expand Address-Place list’ or ‘OK Address-Place selection’ – should there be a check-box?

Is there something odd going on with my set-up, or am I just being a bit dense?!

One thing that has just struck me is that the version of the plugin that I’m using is only showing as 4.8, which according to ‘Check Installed Plugins Against The Store’ 4.8 is the latest. Can I somehow get hold of the later versions (e.g. 4.8.7) that you refer to?

Thanks!
Martin A. Life
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to your first FHUG posting, Martin.

The 'prototype' version 4.8.7 is attached to my Tue 27th Jul 2021 20:27 posting earlier in this thread.
Click on that blue ATTACHMENTS link to download and install it over the published version 4.8.
(You can always revert back to the Plugin Store version by downloading from there again.)

In due course, this prototype version will get published in the Plugin Store as version 4.9.

This is a typical development cycle for Plugins that need reviewing by interested users before publishing worldwide.
Last edited by ColeValleyGirl on 31 Jul 2021 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
andrewlife
Silver

Post by andrewlife »

That's perfect - it's solved my problem! Many thanks Mike!
Martin A. Life
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

I am putting this here, I was unsure if I should put this in thread report plugin problems, I was on 4.8.7 got the informational message that ie no longer supported. continued on, no problem. then got a message that a newer version was in the store. so I updated. on the new version, I got an error. clicked ok, and map synch failed message and was shown a default london map, although everything else seemed right, took awhile but I got the statistics for places and addresses and they looked correct.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (195.24 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
Attachments
mapfacts.txt
(11.01 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

After some experimentation, I get the same error message very occasionally.
Let me investigate why it is happening.
For the time being, if you get that error, just click 'Yes' and let it continue.