* Error When Importing to FTM 2019

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
TheMoose
Family Historian: V7

Error When Importing to FTM 2019

Post by TheMoose »

Hi, I would like a little help with the "Export Gedcom Plugin."

When I use it to export from FH 7 so I can upload to Ancestry, I get about 3900 "Name" errors when importing into FTM 2019. There are only about 3200 people in the file. Here is what the error looks like from the FTM import log:

Here are a few examples/lines from the gedcom that was exported from the plugin:

I believe I have the default settings set for an FTM 2019 export from the "Export Gedcom Plugin"
If there is something I should change please let me know.

Thank you,
Stephen
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Error When Importing to FTM 2019

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Stephen.
I'm sorry you are having that problem. I guess this is the first time you have tried to export to FTM 2019.

Can you provide some history of how your Project has been created, etc, to explain what I have highlighted below?

Your GEDCOM examples include tags such as _WEBTAG, FIELD, _UID and other data structures that FH does not use.
Those NAME tags also look very unusual and probably not where FH would use them.
There are also a lot of www.ancestry.com URL hyperlinks not used by FH.
So I suspect it has been imported from FTM or Ancestry and has not been 'cleaned' to remove non-standard data.

The Export Gedcom File plugin only handles standard FH data structures and passes anything else straight through.
My guess is all that non-standard data exists in your Project GEDCOM and needs tidying.

The Export Gedcom File first Help page https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... edcom-file has some advice about command tasks to perform before running the plugin.

If I am correct about the Project being recently imported then the FHUG Knowledge Base has detailed advice about 'cleaning' Projects. See Importing to Family Historian.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Personally I am not bothered by name errors when I copy my details to FTM. To me FH is my default tree and I work on that all the time. I use FTM to provide links to Ancestry

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Victor, the NAME errors being reported and the _WEBTAG, FIELD, _UID, etc, look like invalid junk data in the Project that should be cleaned out from the master database. If you have similar junk data that should be cleaned too!
( They are nothing to do with the usual Individual NAME fields. )
If you use Tools > Uncategorisd Data > Find Uncategorised Data... or run the UDF List plugin or use the File > Validate... command what gets reported?
TheMoose

Post by TheMoose »

Hi Mike:
You were correct, this file was given to me as a rootsmagic tree file. After reading your comments, I was able to clean out the junk tags and FTM imported with no errors. Thank you for your help.
Stephen
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Mike
Fortunately for me I don't have any junk data

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So Victor, I wonder what is causing your NAME errors?

I assume you tried the commands and plugin I suggested?
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Sorry Mike I didn't make myself clear I haven't had any name errors. If I did I wouldn't worry about them.
I only import things to FTM to provide connections to Ancestry. If any name errors appeared on FTM I would just ignore them as FH is my default tree and I only work on that

Victor