* Source templates from Roots Magic

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Sallion
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Source templates from Roots Magic

Post by Sallion »

I have imported my data from Roots Magic but something odd has happened with the source template definitions. I ran the plugin Create Source Template Definitions as advised and this seemed to do the trick. However when I go to the Sources list and look at the source template for a source it does not appear to link to the same definition. To test this I renamed the collection from Roots Magic Import to Roots Magic Template Import and this is showing correctly in Source Template Definitions from the Tools menu, but when I look at a single source in the Sources List it is still showing the collection as Roots Magic Importand if I try to link the source to a new template I only get the Roots Magic Import templates and not the full list. For information I only used the standard template definitions in Roots Magic and did not set up my own.
Last edited by Jane on 18 May 2022 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix spelling on title.
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Source tempates from Roots Magic

Post by Mark1834 »

Could you post screen shots to illustrate please? It will make it easier to follow exactly what is happening and what the problem is.
Mark Draper
Sallion
Gold

Post by Sallion »

Sorry I should have done this before.
Attachments
Here's the screenshot of Source Template Definitions from the Tools menu, as you can see there are only 3 collections.
Here's the screenshot of Source Template Definitions from the Tools menu, as you can see there are only 3 collections.
Screenshot 2022-05-17 20.15.22.png (178.25 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Here's the screenshot when I try to change the Source Template for a single source from the Sources List
Here's the screenshot when I try to change the Source Template for a single source from the Sources List
Screenshot 2022-05-17 19.44.56.png (434.95 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
And here's what I get from that option.
And here's what I get from that option.
Screenshot 2022-05-17 20.26.02.png (146.25 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I think you are getting confused between a Source Template and Source Template Definition. Think of it as a three level hierarchy.

At the top is the Source Template Definition. This defines what the template looks like, and ensures that similar templates in different projects are structured in the same way. Definitions are not generally associated with individual Projects, but sit at the system level and are available to all Projects. A "Collection" is simply a group of Definitions collected together in a single file.

Next comes the Source Template record. These reside in individual Projects, and provide the template for individual sources in that Project.

Finally, there are the Sources themselves.

When you import a project from RM, you are importing the Sources and Source Templates, but not the Source Template Definitions. If you only have one Project, that doesn't matter. However, you cannot easily use the Templates in other Projects without the associated Definitions, and this is what the plugin creates.

When you change the Template for a Source, you are changing the Template, not the Definition. By changing the name of the Collection, you have broken the links between the Templates and the Definitions. The Collection is now called RootsMagic Template Import, but the Templates are still linked to RootsMagic Import. If you run the plugin again, it will recreate the RootsMagic Import collection.

It takes a while to get your head around this, and it is one of the more complex features of FH7. RM treats this slightly differently, and manages Source Templates individually. AFAIK, it does not have an equivalent to the Collection.

Have a look at your original data again, and see if it makes sense in these terms. Renaming Collections is not advised, as it breaks the link between Templates and their Definitions.
Mark Draper
Sallion
Gold

Post by Sallion »

Thanks I didn't realise this. RM only has two levels. I'm still evaluating FH7 to decide whether to change over from RM so I'm trying things out to see what is different. I only changed the collection name for a test and I can always re-import the data from RM.
Is there any way to change my sources to use the built in source template definitions or am I best leaving them as they are? If I need to change something on a source template what is the best way to do this? I think the syntax for footnotes is slightly different in RM so some of these may need editing.
Sallion
Gold

Post by Sallion »

I think I've worked out how to change my Sources to use the built in definitions. I used menu Add, Source/Citation, Create Source from Template/Prepare Citation. Then clicked the Find More button and added the Source Template Definitions I wanted to the Project. I can now see them in the Source List. I think this was the step I was missing.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It's worth reading Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users) in the KB if you haven't found it already.

One significant difference between FH and RM is that the standard templates provided with FH all assume you will be a "splitter" (separating out related sources), while the RM templates are much more geared to "lumping" (combining related sources together). The majority of FH users prefer splitting, as it is a better fit with the program design, but plenty of people prefer lumping and FH can certainly accommodate that if it is your preference.
Mark Draper
Sallion
Gold

Post by Sallion »

I'm a lumper. I've spent most of the last couple of years tidying up my sources and citations in RM7 and lumping was easier than splitting. I'm reluctant to do this again in FH7 so, if I decide to move, I'll probably leave things as they are for now and maybe revisit it at a later date. I have until the end of the month with the trial version so I need to decide whether to buy FH7 fairly soon. At present I'm minded to buy as it has some feature I really like and it appears robust (unlike RM8). If I decide to buy I can then take my time moving or even run RM7 and FH7 in parallel for a while.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Though I've used FH for smaller projects for several years, I finally moved my main tree from RM to FH a few months ago. I wrote a blog post about the Source Template Editor in FH vs in RM - PM me if you'd like the link.

FH is so much more powerful and flexible. I stuck with RM for a long time out of loyalty and never joined those online who bashed the developer, but it just doesn't do what I need it to. Even the direct connection to Ancestry isn't worth it, especially as it does introduce problems into the database. I'd definitely recommend exploring the plug-in store as well as there are lots of little add-ons there that increase FH's functionality further.
Sallion wrote: 18 May 2022 12:48 I'm a lumper. I've spent most of the last couple of years tidying up my sources and citations in RM7 and lumping was easier than splitting. I'm reluctant to do this again in FH7 so, if I decide to move, I'll probably leave things as they are for now and maybe revisit it at a later date. I have until the end of the month with the trial version so I need to decide whether to buy FH7 fairly soon. At present I'm minded to buy as it has some feature I really like and it appears robust (unlike RM8). If I decide to buy I can then take my time moving or even run RM7 and FH7 in parallel for a while.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz