* Import FamilySearch ID from RM

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
cwhermann
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Import FamilySearch ID from RM

Post by cwhermann »

I did a direct import from RM8 to FH7 and am attempting to get the FamilySearch ID numbers to show on the Individual Records.

I added a tab to the records window and selected the expression %INDL._FSID% but nothing populated. I expanded the individual record and do not see the _FSID tag. To confirm, I created a new file in RM8 with only 5 individuals, each with FamilySearch ID numbers and did a direct import of the small file into a new project - same result, the FamilySearch column did not populate. I ran the UDF List plugin and result was no UDF items found.

I created a RM8 gedcom selecting only the "Extra details (RM specific)" data to export to confirm the existence of the FamilySearch ID tag. It is there, but RM uses _FSFTID as the tag. Based on this, I assume the direct import from other family tree program completely ignores this tag and if I imported the gedcom into a new project, the _FSFTID would show up in the UDF items.
FS ID.png
FS ID.png (234.89 KiB) Viewed 802 times
I know I can modify the gedcom by using a search-replace to change the _FSFTID tag to _FSID and then import, but I have never imported a gedcom file into an existing project so am cautious. If I am only interested in the _FSFTID tag in the gedcom what happens to the other info - does it overwrite the other records or do I need to delete all tags but the _FSFTID in the gedcom before I import?

I looked through the plugin store and thought the Copy Existing Reference Numbers in Gedcom plugin might help, but I don't see any way to select the specific reference/ID number to copy. I have never written a plugin (in fact still struggling with queries) so not sure if this is easily modified to look at a specific tag.

Any guidance and/or help is appreciated.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Import FamilySearch ID from RM

Post by Mark1834 »

If you search for "FamilySearch ID" in the box at the top of the page, it takes you directly to this posting, which gives advice on importing these values.
Mark Draper
cwhermann
Famous

Re: Import FamilySearch ID from RM

Post by cwhermann »

Thanks Mark,
My apologies - my initial search led me to FHUG and the help pages - which is how I got as far as I did. I didn't think about doing another search focusing in the forum.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15