* Links to Repository Records from RM8

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
cwhermann
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Links to Repository Records from RM8

Post by cwhermann »

RM8 Source records can be linked to a Repository record, but this is done outside/independent of the fields when creating the Source record as shown below. There is no repository field when setting up the Source record templates in RM.
RM Source Link1.png
RM Source Link1.png (69.17 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
These imported fine and are shown as SOUR.REPO in the Query result set below. After importing, I modified the Source record template by changing the "website" field to a repository type field which as expected, are shown as SOUR._FIELD[14] in the query results.

I would like to modify my Source templates to utilize the Repository field feature in FH, but I would prefer not to end up with two links to the same Repository Record. I looked at the Repository Record and the Source Record, but do not see any way to delete the link in FH or wouold if have to be done in the Gedcom file itself. I guess one option would be to go through the Sources in RM8 and undo the links, and re-import the file.
Attachments
FH Repos Link.PNG
FH Repos Link.PNG (39.95 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Links to Repository Records from RM8

Post by tatewise »

Which Repository link do you want to keep and which do you want to delete?
Either can appear displayed in the Property Box, etc.
It can easily be done in FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

I plan to update all the Source templates so I would like to keep the link created when doing the Source in FH.
I created a custom tab in the Repository property box, but still struggling with the correct data reference to get the link to display.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Curtis, but you have not answered the question about which form of Repository link you want to keep.
i.e. SOUR.REPO or SOUR._FIELD[14]
Either can be created when doing the Source if the template is specified appropriately.

If the imported records all use SOUR.REPO then that is probably the best one to keep.
Otherwise, you will have to migrate all those SOUR.REPO links to SOUR._FIELD[14] links.

Those SOUR.REPO or SOUR._FIELD[14] references are not valid in a Repository record Property Box.
They are only valid in a Source record Property Box.

Tell me which of the two forms you want to keep and I can explain the appropriate details.
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

Sorry about my lack of clarity - just because I was making the connection between two posts - doesn’t mean the reader will.
The imported links are the SOUR.REPO and these are the ones I would like to delete. Depending on the source, I would be classified as a lumper. I delayed a lot of data entry waiting for release of RM8 so I probably only have about 100 source records and will need to create more as data entry continues in FH. I think I have determined the only way to create the source-repository link is by having a repository type field in the source template so I will need to update existing templates anyway and I would just as soon have things consistent. I don’t think migrating the SOUR.REPO LINKS to SOUR._FIELD[14] links will be to time consuming.

What I was trying to do is to set up a custom tab in the repository property box that would display similar to the View > Record Links and selecting Repository. I realize this is basically a query, but thought I could get similar result if I could identify the correct data reference in setting up the Tab.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

cwhermann wrote: 12 May 2022 00:41 I think I have determined the only way to create the source-repository link is by having a repository type field in the source template so I will need to update existing templates anyway and I would just as soon have things consistent.
No, that is not the only way to create source-repository links.
The alternative is to customise the Source record Property Box and Citation Window to include the SOUR.REPO field.
i.e.
Open the Source record Property Box or the Citation Window.
Click the cog Menu top right and choose Customize Property Box... or Customize Citation Window...
Under Available Items there is Repository, which is added using > button to Selected Items and moved up/down.
That field allows SOUR.REPO links to be managed in exactly the same way as a repository type field.
Using this technique means that no Source Templates need to be changed at all unless you need Repository names to appear in the Citation Title/Footnote/Bibliography. Also, no existing SOUR.REPO values need changing.

However, you wish to stop using the standard GEDCOM SOUR.REPO and migrate to the template Repository metafield.
The imported links are the SOUR.REPO and these are the ones I would like to delete. ... I don’t think migrating the SOUR.REPO LINKS to SOUR._FIELD[14] links will be to time consuming.
So you don't want to delete the SOUR.REPO links, but instead transfer them to the Repository metafield.
As you perform that process the SOUR.REPO values can be manually migrated and deleted one by one.
In the Records Window on the Sources tab, configure the Columns to show both SOUR.REPO and SOUR.~RP-REPOSITORY (which is better than SOUR._FIELD[14]) and then you can cut and paste from one to the other.
What I was trying to do is to set up a custom tab in the repository property box that would display similar to the View > Record Links and selecting Repository.
The View > Record Links, or Query, or Plugin displays a long list of Source records that link to a Repository.
It is not possible to display a similar long list in a Repository record Property Box field.
c.f.
Similarly, it is not possible to list all Citations that link to a Source by using a field in the Source record Property Box.
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

tatewise wrote: 12 May 2022 09:24 No, that is not the only way to create source-repository links.
The alternative is to customize the Source record Property Box and Citation Window to include the SOUR.REPO field.
i.e.
Open the Source record Property Box or the Citation Window.
Click the cog Menu top right and choose Customize Property Box... or Customize Citation Window...
Mike - thank you for the guidance
Interestingly this is where I started, could not find a way to add the field and hence determined the only way to do it was with a repository field in the source template. I agree this is a much easier way to move forward, eliminating the need to change templates or go through the process of deleting the links imported from RM.

Did experience a bit of frustration trying to implement your instructions - could not figure out why I could not get the field to show up - but new it was something I was doing given your confirmation that it could be done. I don't know if is unique to my import because I use templates to generate sources, but it took me a while to figure out that I needed to change the Tab: pull down menu from "Main (generic)" to "Main (Template)". Once I did this - was able to implement the steps you provided and all is good.
Generic.PNG
Generic.PNG (132.46 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Template.png
Template.png (145.29 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
I created a new test project and imported a small 5 person file from RM with Source-Repository links. The links established in RM were imported to the repository field in the customized property box. I looked through the Help and KB and did not see a reference to where the customization is stored and would like to confirm that customizing the property box is stored at the program level and would apply to all projects.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I should have mentioned the Tab: Main (template) option.
You should discover that the Repository field now also appears in the floating Citation Window.

The customization is saved globally in the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Property Box\ folder.
Such customizations are preserved by using one of the Backup and Restore FH Settings plugins.

BTW: If you are interested, since FH supports GEDCOM 5.5.1 that allows two Repository links, the tab can be customized with two Repository links on the same line, and I can explain how.
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

The benefit of of your “omission” was the need to go back and review info in the help and book. The explanation was all there, just missed it the first time. :D
tatewise wrote: 14 May 2022 09:53 BTW: If you are interested, since FH supports GEDCOM 5.5.1 that allows two Repository links, the tab can be customized with two Repository links on the same line, and I can explain how.
Although right now I cannot come up with a scenario where I might need it, I would like to see how it is done. I am visual person, and maybe once I see it “in action”, I will identify how I would use it.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, to add the 2nd Repository link, use the cog Menu > Customize Property Box... as before.
Select the existing Repository item on the right and click View/Edit... to get screenshot below.
Tick and add the Part 2 details shown, focusing on Label, Data Reference, Min Width, and Percent in both parts.

RepositoryCustomise.png
RepositoryCustomise.png (183.13 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

Thanks Mike,
Worked great - once I remembered I needed to let FH know I was editing the (template) tab ;)

A question for my learning - the numbers in the Alignment Group, Min Width and Percent - obviously control the horizontal position of the the fields in the Record window. but what do the numbers represent specifically?
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Curtis, I suggest you read the Help page for the Edit Item dialogue, where it explains Alignment Groups.
In fact, I advise you to read the Help page on every dialogue you use.