* Preparing for import from RootsMagic

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
cwhermann
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Preparing for import from RootsMagic

Post by cwhermann »

I am ready to make the jump from RM8 to FH7. Over the the past couple of months I have imported a couple of different files to “play” with FH7 getting comfortable with the features and make sure I understand the differences between RM8 & FH7. During this time I have created source templates, downloaded various plugins, created some useless queries, test notes, etc. Now that I am ready to do the “official” transfer, I would like to start with a clean project and program generated files. What is the best way to do this? Should I delete FH7 in its entirety and re-download as if a new purchase? Or is there a way to clean out all the files FH creates if I just delete the trial projects?
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Preparing for import from RootsMagic

Post by Mark1834 »

Curtis,

FH project data are separate from other features such as queries, plugins and template definitions, so each can be considered separately.

To delete your trial projects, including all data within those projects, the safest way is to delete them individually from FH project menu. Source templates will also be deleted, so ensure that you have created definitions for any that you wish to reuse, as these are saved with FH program data, not in individual projects.

To delete all other custom features, such as queries, plugins, fact sets, source template definitions, etc, along with all user interface customisation, you should uninstall FH. If you just reinstall, most of your customisations are retained. Uninstalling FH does not delete your project folder, so you will need to delete projects first if you want a completely clean new installation, or delete the folder in Windows after removing FH.

If you choose the latter option, just redownload the latest FH update and install as before. Log into your FH account and it will activate automatically.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As Mark says, uninstalling and reinstalling FH does not clear anything. All customisations and projects are retained.

So if you want a completely clean sheet these are the steps:
  1. Uninstall FH V7.
  2. Delete the ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\ folder contents to delete all Projects.
  3. Delete the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder contents to delete most customisations.
  4. Delete the %APPDATA%\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder contents to delete most other customisations.
  5. There are some other customisations in the Windows Registry but they are unlikely to be a significant problem.
  6. Reinstall FH V7.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

Thank you Mark and Mike,
I know there are a couple of templates and some plugins I will want to continue using, but nothing I can’t recreate or download into my “clean master set up”.
Thanks again for all the help and guidance you both provide in the FHUG.
Curt
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Curt, use the File > Import/Export > Export options to save any particular customisations you wish to retain.
Save them outside the folders you intend to delete.
They can then be installed back into FH after achieving the clean install.
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

Mike - attached is image of the program file structure and wanted to confirm these represent your items 3 and 4 that should be deleted along with the project folder in my documents. The only folder in (C) > Program files (x86) > Calico Pie is the Family Historian PDF folder.
If I understand correctly, these will be "re-created" when I download FH7 from CP.

As a side question, where are the Source Template Definitions stored?
FileStruc.png
FileStruc.png (100.57 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

NO Curt, never touch anything in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ or C:\Program Files\ folders.
You are likely to seriously disrupt the operation of Windows installed applications.

I was referring to the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder which is very different.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Family Historian Program Data Folder with advice to reveal that hidden folder.

The global Source Template Definitions are held in C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Source Templates\
The local project Source Template Definitions are held in the Project GEDCOM Source Template (_SRCT) records.
Why do you ask?
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

I missed the "hidden" reference. I found the files with a search of the C drive for "Calico" and compared to the file I found with copy and past of the file path from your post and copy and paste of file path from KB as double check.
I have always uninstalled programs via the start menu > application > uninstall command so going into the Program Files did not make sense nor did it match the path you provided, which is why I asked.

The reason I wanted to know where the Source Template Definitions were held is because I had used the Create Source Template Definitions plugin to create templates from the RM source records that were imported. I wanted to delete the RM Import collection and then "play" with the the compare/sync feature in the Source Template Definitions window.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't understand how you hope to "play" with the Compare/Sync with Source Template Record... button.
That only works where there is a global Souce Template Definition and a local Project Source Template record both with an identical Template Name.

If you delete the RM Import collection in the Project there will be no Source Template records to Compare/Sync with.

Anyway, to perform such operations needs no knowledge of where those items are saved. It can all be performed within FH.
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

I was going to import a small RM with only about 10 individuals, use the plugin to create what would be small RM Import collection. My thought was with a limited number of records, it would be easier to manage.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Presumably, that is after achieving a “clean master set up” which was your original objective in this thread.
That will have deleted all imported templates, projects, etc. So you would be starting from a clean sheet.
That is why I didn't understand how you hoped to "play" with the Compare/Sync with Source Template Record... button.
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

I apologize for combining two topics on the one post. I am trying to get all my “playing” done before I pulled the trigger on creating a “clean set up”. It seems every time I think I am ready to go, and hence my OP, I discover something else, I want to make sure I understand how it works before I create my master project file.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15