* Media Links Problem with RootsMagic Import

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
RandyC
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Media Links Problem with RootsMagic Import

Post by RandyC »

I have done a direct import of my RootsMagic 7 file with FH 7.0.9, which for the most part works awesome.

But I have found certain media links missing, in RM7, media that is attached to a fact that is "shared" shows for all of the "witnesses" as "media linked to the current Individual" In Family Historian, the media only shows up linked to the Principal and not the Associated "Witnesses"

I am not sure if this is an oversight or if I missed clicking some selection during import or what may have happened.

I sure hope my explanation makes sense.

Do anyone know if there is a way to make this work properly?

Thank you in advance
Randy
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Media Links Problem with RootsMagic Import

Post by tatewise »

Hi Randy, I imagine this is your first import from RM7.

Under the hood, in GEDCOM/FH terms, all shared Fact Witness entities are directly linked to the Principal Fact.
So any Media linked to the Principal Fact is only associated with the Principal Individual.

However, if you inspect the same Fact from each Fact Witness Individual record the Facts tab shows the Media.
i.e. In the More column, there is both a 3-blue-balls Witness icon and a Media icon.
Select that Fact and click the Show Media button in the toolbar below to see that Media image.

But if you use the View Media camera icon in the main toolbar above to View Media Linked to the Witness Individual it will not be included for the reason given above.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RandyC
Gold

Post by RandyC »

Thank you Mike for your help,

Yes, after 15+ years with RootsMagic, I am now switching to Family Historian, I have spent about 30 days in searching for the right buttons in FH to push. ;)

It is nice that the "Witnessed" fact shows up in the individuals fact list and that I can use the "More column" to see all the other witnesses, the fact notes or see the media.

And it seems proper to me, that when I create a report on the individual that all of the facts that they "witness" are linked to them and are a part of their life story. But the media that goes with the fact doesn't seem to make it to the reports, unless I am missing something in the reports options. (I just realized I haven't explored whether the fact notes are linked to reports)

To me, that the media isn't linked to the witness seems like an over-site, if not a bug.
media.JPG
media.JPG (38.06 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
RandyC
Gold

Post by RandyC »

Hello again,

I just saw this thread "Media linked to Indiviudal Facts missing from Reports"https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 32&t=20331

I wonder if my issue isn't another "quirk" of the witnessing functionality?

Although, in the witnesses facts that I am looking at, the Principal is not listed as a witness, unfortunately I was thinking on adding them as witnesses, because I thought I might be able to use the new “{others}” code to craft sentences. https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 32&t=20329
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A 'feature' of Fact Witnesses in FH is that none of the Principal Fact items appears in Reports.
So Media, Notes, and Source Citations of the Principal Fact do not usually appear in any Report for the Witnesses.

If you add the Principal as their own Fact Witness, that takes precedence and all those items are omitted from Reports.

A Fact Witness can have their own Note and Source Citations (that can duplicate the Principal Fact) and they do appear in Reports.

If the above is not clear, then I can go into more details with screenshots.
RandyC
Gold

Post by RandyC »

I believe I understand what you are saying.

Of course, I am trying to decide what method of data entry to use in the future, but my issue now is that my wife and I have hundreds facts with witnesses and media in our two RM7 databases that we are importing. We have been big fans of 'shared facts' since they came out, and FH has great narrative sentences.

One of the things that drew me to Family Historian was the amount of options that the reports window has to chose from and the fact that pictures could be added to reports.

Since so much work has gone into creating great Fact Witness sentence templates, I guess I don't understand why the Witness Media & Notes couldn't have been a couple more check boxes on the report options.

(I should add, I understand the programming could be a bunch more convoluted than it seems to a novice like me, I do realize that they are stoping that Principal sentence from getting attached to the witness.)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Fact Witness Sentence Templates only apply to Narrative Reports and not all Reports.
However, in that scenario, the Principal Fact Notes can be included in the Sentence Template using the {note} code, etc.

I'm not sure that extra Report > Options are needed for Fact Witness Media & Notes.
The existing Media options and Notes options are probably sufficient.
Perhaps the question is whether Media and Notes directly linked to the Principal Fact are relevant to the Fact Witness in their Report.

If you consider including those Media and Notes in Reports is important then you can report that to Calico Pie via their Support Centre at http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php.
RandyC
Gold

Post by RandyC »

Wow, that "{note} code" works so simple!

I guess I will contact Calico Pie and ask about making a code for Media.

Again, thank you so much for your help, I certainly know now that we can go ahead and import my wife's database.

Randy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Randy, it is not possible to create a code for Media in Sentence Templates because they only support text.

Calico Pie need to include the Media itself and similarly Notes, and that is required for all types of Report and not just the Narrative Reports that support Sentence Templates.
RandyC
Gold

Post by RandyC »

Update:

The problem that started this conversation was addressed by the update that came out today - 7.0.10 . It works great now!!

Here is a quote from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/v7-updates
"Media Window

When selecting media to display in the Media Window, if you opted to include media linked to facts, media linked to witnessed facts were not included. They now are."
I still working on the wording for a ticket to address including witness media in reports. :roll: