* Import error from TMG

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
woodr2011
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Import error from TMG

Post by woodr2011 »

I am trying to import my primary TMG database of 177,563 individuals into my fully licensed copy of FH 7. I am doing a direct TMG-->FH import (i.e., a full copy of the TMG database, not a backup or a GEDCOM file). Each time I try to finish the import, I get the following error: "An error occurred during import. Import did not complete," without any further explanation. I imported the database successfully to the trial version of FH but I found that a plethora of extra commas had been added to place locations, so I deleted that project and am trying to bring everything in with the "insert commas" option deselected. I have tried leaving that option checked and the error still occurs. What could be causing this?? Should I be importing from a TMG backup file rather than from a full copy? It would take an eternity to generate a GEDCOM of this database if that is the only other option.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Import error from TMG

Post by tatewise »

You should be directly importing from the ...\The Master Genealogist v9\Projects\<projname>\<projname>__.PJC file.
That should be the same as the earlier successful import, assuming no major changes to the TMG project.
Presumably, TMG can open that project OK.
Check the advice in Importing to Family Historian for TMG in particular.
Tips like TMG must not be running are important.
It also explains how a backup SQZ file can be used.

Presumably, you are running FH v7.0.8?

If all else fails you may have to seek help from CP.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
woodr2011
Platinum

Re: Import error from TMG

Post by woodr2011 »

Hi, Mike: Thank you for replying. I suspect some minor issue in the TMG database is the root of the problem, so I am running validation and optimization on it before attempting the import again to FH 7. I have reached out to CP, and they are happy to do the import to FH for me, which will be the best option. I don't want to leave anything to open to error.