* Merging part of an Ancestry file with FH6

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Laurel
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Merging part of an Ancestry file with FH6

Post by Laurel »

My laptop recently crashed, corrupting the disc, and I have lost nearly a year's worth of work. (my last backup was January 2021). I have over 40,000 individuals in my FH 6 project but only 5,000 are direct ancestors. Fortunately, I uploaded that smaller file onto the Ancestry website about 5 months ago so anticipate there may be a few individuals on there that are missing from my older desktop version. I am very wary about Merged as I've seen the mess and duplication than can ensue. I presume I firstly just download the Ancestry Gedcom into my laptop but then how do I ensure that the programme selects from it only those entries missing from my main project file and attached them in the right places?
Thanks
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Merging part of an Ancestry file with FH6

Post by Jane »

Have you read all the advice in
Merge/Compare File
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Merging part of an Ancestry file with FH6

Post by tatewise »

What are your plans to prevent such a catastrophe from happening again?
There are regular postings here and in the Email forum about backup strategies and users who have suffered crashes.
I am always gobsmacked that anyone does not have a backup regime.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Backup and Recovery advice where from Making a Safe Backup onwards there is guidance on strategies which ideally should be automated.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry