* Direct Import from TMG with FH v7.0.8

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Direct Import from TMG with FH v7.0.8

Post by tatewise »

FH v7.0.8 says it has improved direct import from TMG and https://www.family-historian.co.uk/v7-updates say:
"If in TMG you changed the label in the Tag Type Definition for the “English (U.S.)” version of a tag type (e.g. changed “Birth” to “BIRT”) this would prevent the fact being correctly identified as a Birth fact (or whatever type it is) and it would be created as a new custom fact type instead. Fixed."

I thought this implied that FH had returned to using TMG Master Tag Type List GEDCOM Tag to determine the fact type, instead of using the Label, which would be excellent. However, I'm not certain as there are still some problems.

I have directly imported the TMG SAMPLE_UK__ project with all the default FH settings.

The TMG Death fact had its Label changed to Død (Danish for death) but its GEDCOM Tag was still DEAT.
The TMG Baptism fact had its Label changed to Death but its GEDCOM Tag was still BAPM with a Baptism Sentence.
The TMG Census 1841, Census 1851, through to Census 1891 & Census 1901 all had the GEDCOM Tag changed to CENS.
Other facts had their Label changed: Christening to Christning, Confirmation to Confirmatn, Description to Descriptn, etc, but all retained their standard GEDCOM Tag settings.
By default in TMG, the Bar/BasMitzvah facts have no space in the middle but use standard GEDCOM Tags BARM & BASM.

As expected, the Død facts were all imported as standard Death DEAT facts.
Notice the TMG (project) Fact Set has both standard Death DEAT and custom Død EVEN-DD definitions.
However, the Death DEAT Sentence Template has the Baptism Sentence from TMG, so all those Death facts produce sentences using "{individual} was baptised {date} {place} <{note}>".

The Baptism facts (labelled Death in TMG) were imported as standard Baptism BAPM facts.
These use the FH Standard Fact Set definition as there is no TMG (project) BAPM definition.

All the Census 1841 to Census 1901 facts imported as standard Census facts and use the TMG Census fact Sentence.
Notice the TMG (project) Fact Set has standard Census CENS and all the custom Census ... EVEN-CENSUS_... definitions.

The 'misspelt' facts were all imported as custom facts in the TMG (project) Fact Set as shown in the fhf file below!
Notice the TMG (project) Fact Set has none of the matching standard facts and only custom fact definitions.

The Descriptn fact has custom fact _ATTR-DESCRIPTN defined in the TMG (project) fhf file.
However, those facts import as standard Physical Description facts with the DSCR tag but there is no DSCR tag defined in the TMG (project) fhf file.

The Tools > Fact Types... TMG (project) Fact Set confirms all the above findings.

Can other TMG users confirm the above successes and problems?

FactTypesTMGProject.png
FactTypesTMGProject.png (39.17 KiB) Viewed 2282 times

The fhf file clearly identifies which are standard GEDCOM facts and which are custom facts starting EVEN or _ATTR.

FactTypesTMGfhfFile.png
FactTypesTMGfhfFile.png (31.28 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Last edited by tatewise on 15 Sep 2021 13:59, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Added screenshots of Fact Types for TMG, Death, Baptism & Census correction, and Description fact oddity, etc
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Direct Import from TMG with FH v7.0.8

Post by tatewise »

I have used FH v6.2.7 to directly imported exactly the same TMG SAMPLE_UK__ project with all the same tag definitions.
It sensibly imports all facts with TMG Master Tag Type List standard GEDCOM Tags as standard facts.
That includes the Død (Death) DEAT fact, the Death (Baptism) BAPM fact, all the Census CENS facts, and the Descriptn (Physical Description) DSCR fact.

Only the genuine custom facts are imported as custom EVEN or _ATTR facts.
i.e. Those in the TMG Master Tag Type List that have the GEDCOM Tag set to EVEN, or some non-standard fact Tag.

I realise that FH v7.0 adds extra features in the TMG (project) Fact Type definitions for Sentence Templates, etc, but compared to FH v6.2.7 its imported fact tags do not always match the Fact Type definitions.

IMO: FH v7.0 should focus on the TMG Master Tag Type List GEDCOM Tag and apply the following strategy which is more consistent with the FH v6.2.7 strategy:
  1. If the Tag is a standard GEDCOM fact Tag, use it as the Fact Type definition key, i.e. BIRT, BAPM, CENS, DEAT, BURI, etc.
    Set the definition Label value to the TMG Label and the Sentence Template to the TMG Sentence, etc.
    However, if that Fact Type Tag has already been defined, because several TMG facts share the same GEDCOM Tag, then use the rule below as if the GEDCOM Tag were EVEN, e.g. all the Census year facts defined with the CENS tag.
  2. If the Tag is a non-standard GEDCOM fact Tag value or blank, use the rule below as if it were EVEN, i.e. ADDR, AGE, etc.
  3. If the Tag is defined as EVEN create a custom Fact Type definition using the TMG Label along the same lines as currently.
torleiffh
Gold

Post by torleiffh »

I have tested a reimport of my TMG project in FH 708.
It's in Norwegian and some tags/facts are user defined with Norwegian names and also shown as Facts in Norwegian in FH.
Skjermbilde 2021-10-18 100946.png
Skjermbilde 2021-10-18 100946.png (15.05 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2021-10-18 084508.png
Skjermbilde 2021-10-18 084508.png (41.87 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Skjermbilde 2021-10-18 101152.png
Skjermbilde 2021-10-18 101152.png (22.06 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is what I would expect for custom facts with the TMG Tag Type GEDCOM tag set to EVEN.