* Transferring data to a different computer

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Jack Tar
Family Historian: V7

Transferring data to a different computer

Post by Jack Tar »

Hi,

I have TMG on an old laptop and I have Family Historian on a newer laptop. Is it possible to transfer my data without using Gedcom? As all my notes and exhibits etc are not included in Gedcom and it would mean re-entering it all manually.

Many thanks in advance
Jack Tar
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Transferring data to a different computer

Post by Jane »

Just copy over the WHOLE TMG Data folder with the exhibits and try the direct import.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Jack.

Yes, just copy all the TMG project file & folder structure from the old PC to the new PC.
i.e. the Documents ~ The Master Genealogist folder containing Backups, Exhibits, Projects, etc.

Use Windows File Explorer to copy those folders via some intermediate storage device (USB memory stick, etc) or use cloud storage such as OneDrive or Google Drive to sync files between the PC.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base Importing to Family Historian that has specific advice for direct Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG).

It may be useful to have TMG running on the new PC, so either install your own copy, or the above article has a free trial of TMG v9 to download. It is sometimes easier to adjust features in TMG before importing to FH than adjust them afterwards in FH.

If anything is not clear then please ask again.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jack Tar

Post by Jack Tar »

Many thanks for your replies. I shall endeavour to try out your suggestions over the coming weekend. Will let you know how I fare.

Jack