* Using GEDexplorer to read existing GEDCOM

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
lundr2001
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Using GEDexplorer to read existing GEDCOM

Post by lundr2001 »

I’m using GEDexplorer on my iPad, to provide me with a remote read-only reference to my tree, using the FH Gedcom.

I get two error messages from the program: Position 8061107 unknown record type “_RNOT”; and Position 8063832 unknown record type “_SRCT”.

I presume that the number refers to a line in the Gedcom, but viewing the Gedcom in a text viewer for example, doesn’t reveal the line numbers.

My question is, is there a way to find the line number reference inside FH?

I have done a text search, but that reveals multiple uses of the above _RNOT and _SRCT.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Using GEDexplorer to read existing GEDCOM

Post by tatewise »

Different products customise their GEDCOM with various features that are allowed by the GEDCOM specification and sometimes with features that are not allowed!

FH (like some other products) has custom Research Note (_RNOT) and Source Template (_SRCT) and Place (_PLAC) records.
Various GEDCOM read & analysis products like GEDexplorer handle such valid GEDCOM records in different ways.

See help with GEDExplorer question (18037) where it explains that Position is a character code-point count and how to find that Position using PSPAD. There is no way inside FH to discover GEDCOM character counts.

If your objective is to view your Project details in GEDexplorer then I suggest you use the various GEDCOM export tools to create a GEDCOM that is more compatible with GEDexplorer rather than use the FH specific internal GEDCOM file.
i.e. Either use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File... command and Exclude those unwanted records, or use the Export Gedcom File plugin with a suitable export mode.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

These are tags for Research Note and Source Template. They are specific to FH, and other apps will not understand them. It will be better to export a GEDCOM file (either directly from FH’s File menu, or via the Export GEDCOM plugin) and select options to omit these custom features.

Ask if you want more detailed guidance, as the number of options in either route can be slightly intimidating if you have not done it before.

On your more specific question, a number of text editors can be configured to show line numbers from the options, but it may not be enabled by default.

Edit - SNAP!
Mark Draper
lundr2001
Gold

Post by lundr2001 »

Thank you Mike, I’ll use the Export Gedcom as you suggested.

Edit - and Mark