* Exporting Source Citation Media to FTM/Ancestry

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Exporting Source Citation Media to FTM/Ancestry

Post by tatewise »

Having thought about your screenshots overnight, I suspect you also changed the Multimedia Conversion setting.

In the morning I think it was (FILE~REL) Multimedia via Relative Link Records which would keep the file paths in the FH internal relative format, i.e. Media\Census\1841 England census, 9, Clif Terrace, Margate, ....... - Ann Doughty.jpg
That is exactly what FTM could not find in your 10:53 screenshot because it has no drive letter, etc.

In the afternoon I think you changed to (ALL~ABS) All Frames via Absolute Link Records which is the FTM default using full file paths including the drive letter, etc. That explains why FTM can now find the media files.
However, opening the exported GEDCOM in FH and using Validate will disrupt the GEDCOM, as you have discovered.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike
Okay, yes I think I changed the Media Conversion to default after you noticed the Export mode had changed. To which I still don't know why that happened.

Attached is the settings for the Plug-In export I have run just now:

I have made the necessary pre-checks found in the Plug-In help file before export:
Run the validate option from within FH > No Errors Found
Run the Plug-In to find any UDF data . None Found
Run the Plug-In to detect any Unlinked Media > None found
Checked the External File Links > No Errors Found
Ran the Project Statistics Plug-In > No Serious Errors Found

After import into FTM, the import log gives no serious errors and the media count now looks correct. Previously the media count showed 26000+ records, hence the duplication I was seeing. Checking Ann Doughty 1841 Census in FTM after import now shows the media correctly, Address details are also present. Phew...

User error - sincere apologies and thank you very much

One question please - how do I preserve those Plug-In settings for the FTM2019 export mode. Will the backup and restore FH Settings Plug-In also save those settings?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-06 103525_9.png
Screenshot 2021-09-06 103525_9.png (39.78 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
1_AS FTM UTF8.import.log
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike
I have now managed to upload the FTM2019 tree data to Ancestry. However, the media files are not as sharp as they are when viewed in FH. Can that be improved by increasing the Max Size values on the Basic Settings Page?
Any significant consequences to this other than larger files and longer transfer times?

Thanks once again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Phew! That seems much better. :D

The plugin automatically saves the settings for each GEDCOM Export Mode for each Project.
So the (FTM) Family Tree Maker 2019 settings should be preserved whenever you run the plugin in the 1_AS Project.
Those plugin settings will also be included in any FH Project Backups.
In the Updating existing FH records with data from CSV (19765) thread there have been discussions about adding options to allow the settings to be preserved globally as well as per Project, and also allow specific GEDCOM Export Mode product settings to be copied to & from the (CEA/B) Custom Export Alpha/Beta modes to let users experiment with settings whilst retaining a master set.

Yes, increasing the Max height/width settings will improve the resolution of images at the expense of time & space.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Mike
That sounds good re preserving the Plug-In settings globally. I'll check out that thread.
Thanks for your help with this post. I'll experiment with those Max settings to find the best compromise.

Apologies once again for the confusion on my part...

Best wishes

David