* Multimedia Import From FTM

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
McHooty
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Multimedia Import From FTM

Post by McHooty »

Hi

Importing from FTM 2017 all my media is given the Keyword 'Picture' and Format 'jpg' even if the file is actually pdf or doc and if I double click to open it the response is 'Unable to load Object. Bad JPG File'.
I can modify each file individually to change the Format and Keyword and this works, but I wondered if there is a Plugin or alternative to automate the process.

Apologies if this question has been asked previously, but I have looked and couldn't find anything,
Michael Huteson

I may be getting older, but the hills aren't getting higher !
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Multimedia Import From FTM

Post by tatewise »

This is not a perfect solution but it does let you open the files.
Use the Query > Query Window option and the cog menu New Custom Query... option.
Give it a meaningful Query Name and set Query Type to Media.

In the Columns tab, add Keywords and File > Format and File to the Columns.

In the Rows filter tab, add Exclude if %OBJE.FILE[1]% ends with jpg
Repeat that with jpeg if necessary.

Run the Query and it should list all .doc and .pdf files, etc.
When happy with that, select all the Keywords cells and hit Delete key, then repeat with File Format cells.

That then at least allows all those files to be opened, but will need a Plugin to correct the Keywords and Format fields.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
McHooty
Platinum

Post by McHooty »

Thanks Mike

Worked perfectly first time, finding in excess of 9k files.
I then modified it slightly by sorting the Multimedia Object in ascending order which then reported everything in named person order.
This is helpful as the way I store my data is to have a folder for each person in my project and all files primarily relating to them is stored in their folder.
Michael Huteson

I may be getting older, but the hills aren't getting higher !
MFriend
Famous

Post by MFriend »

Thanks for the query Mike. I had forgotten I needed to check on this. I had the same issue ('Unable to load Object. Bad JPG File'.) when exporting from FTM 2019. The html, txt, docx, pdf media files were not displaying properly on import. I only had 65 to update, but it was a lot easier having them in the query than having to scan through thousands of media files trying to make sure all the above were updated.