* Importing Gedcom from FTM 2019 or 2017

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
McHooty
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Importing Gedcom from FTM 2019 or 2017

Post by McHooty »

Hi

I am thinking of moving to Family Historian 7 after many years using Family Tree Maker. No doubt it will be a steep learning curve and I will have many questions. I am currently tidying my existing media files before exporting the Gedcom file and the following query came to mind.

Is there any advantage to exporting the file from FTM 2019 rather than FTM 2017 ?

I have both versions (on separate PC's), but only use FTM 2017 as I didn't consider the 2019 version to be an improvement.

Thanks
Michael
Michael Huteson

I may be getting older, but the hills aren't getting higher !
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Importing Gedcom from FTM 2019 or 2017

Post by Jane »

Looking at Importing to Family Historian there does not seem to be anything major, but you can always try both and import each into different Projects on the trial
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've moved this to the 'Importing and Exporting' forum that is more appropriate.

The advice Jane mentioned has a section dedicated to 'Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM)'.

There are many users here who have undertaken that migration and will be happy to offer advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
McHooty
Platinum

Post by McHooty »

Hi

Thanks for the quick replies and advice.

As I'm more confident with the stability of the 2017 version I'll give that a go first.
Michael Huteson

I may be getting older, but the hills aren't getting higher !