* Screen scraping MyHeritage Web Page Data

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
neh664kxy5746
Family Historian: V7

Screen scraping MyHeritage Web Page Data

Post by neh664kxy5746 »

Does anyone know of a Plugin, Utility or other application that can screen scrape a web page from MyHeritage and transfer the data into Family Historian's Focus Window. The methods I've found require way to many steps.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Nor
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Screen scraping MyHeritage Web Page Data

Post by Valkrider »

This is probably against the My Heritage terms of Service so you need to check on that.

As you have found there are several screen scraping utilities available but all of them will require work to massage the data to get it suitable for importing to FH. If you have a lot to do you could create a custom plugin or external app to get the data suitable for import to FH. However, I am not aware of any such method being available off the shelf. If you can get the data into a CSV file there is a CSV import plugin.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Definitely against MyHeritage's ToS:
Scraping, crawling and/or harvesting of any data and any pages from the Website without our explicit prior written consent is strictly prohibited
However ORA may meet your needs -- I don't use it myself because of the ToS issue which will affect most websites not just MyHeritage. I don't want to risk losing access to such services.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

When I have a view on my computer no matter what I am looking at whether it is F, or ancestry web page on my key board I press Windows + shift + S and with my mouse I cover the area I want to save. If it going to be added to a FH name I do this by opening the media ikon at the location then open the menu. On the top right I prompt 'add menu for fact' then 'paste copied image'
If I am going to save it to file it away I open it on my photo software then save it under the appropriate file.
Lets say a marriage certificate. Opening the ikon then paste ot results in you having to type in the details e.g. names of couple.
If I am going to file it away I save it in a marriage folder then use Ancestral Sourses to include the certificate
Victor
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Victor, what you are doing (taking a single screenshot image, which only uses your computer resources) is not the same as screen-scraping (which extracts structured data from the webpage, almost always using the host server resources).

Hosts object to screen-scraping either because of the drain on their server resources (most tools that will scrape a single screen will also do it for a lot of linked screens which can be very resource-intensive) or because they want to protect the intellectual property embodied in their content.

Those of us who belong to various online DNA communities will be aware of Ancestry issuing 'Cease and Desist' legal notices to the authors of programmes that screen-scrape Ancestry DNA results (even including a programme that dpesn't do the screen-scraping itself but can import the results).