* Gedsite displaying Text from Source instead of Media

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
tlwa01
Silver
Family Historian: None

Gedsite displaying Text from Source instead of Media

Post by tlwa01 »

I want to display "certificates" generated by the Data Entry Assistant within Gedsite instead of any attached media.
I want to do this because I have a lot of certificate transcripts without the relevant media and I want to produce a consistent output.

Has anyone tried to do this so far, if so how was it achieved?

Regards

Tom
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Gedsite displaying Text from Source instead of Media

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Which version of GedSite are you using? There are changes in GedSite 4 that support rich text from FH V7, but earlier versions won't do so.
tlwa01
Silver
Family Historian: None

Post by tlwa01 »

I am using Gedsite 4.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It might be better to ask this on the Gedsite support mailing list, where John Cardinal will respond. There's nothing special about the rich text output from DEAs so it should be supported.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Tom, I've moved this to the Importing and Exporting Forum that is more appropriate.
There is nothing in FH or the Export Gedcom File plugin that impacts how any Text From Source field is exported to GedSite.
However, if you are talking about templated Source Citation metafields then that is a different matter and GedSite may not understand those yet.

BTW: Please update your Family Historian Version shown to the right of your postings.
Click on your username, Edit Profile, choose Family Historian Version, then scroll down to Submit.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tlwa1948

Post by tlwa1948 »

Gedsite Version 4.01 resolves this problem by adding the new Sources.Source Notes and Sources.Source Text properties.
JohnnyCee
Diamond

Post by JohnnyCee »

To expand on the solution provided by GedSite 4.01...

I am not an FH expert so I may not use terminology 100% correctly.

GedSite builds citations and source page entries using FH Source Templates. The templates include references to fields such as "{Author}", "{Title}", "{Page}", etc. Other programs use similar template-based systems.

FH does not support a field to refer to the Text from Source value. Some other programs do.

Because there is no FH field, GedSite 4.00 could not include the Text from Source value when it constructed the citation or source page entry using the FH7 Source Template.

In GedSite 4.01, I added a feature where the Text from Source value could be appended to the end of the text produced by interpreting the template. GedSite 4.00 and 4.01 support FH rich text, so you can format the Text from Source using font styles, tables, lists, special fonts, etc.

From what I understand, the GedSite 4.01 solution is similar to how FH7 works where there is an option to append the Text from Source to what the template produces. I have not actually seen that in action so perhaps it works differently.

RootsMagic has a similar limitation in that its source templates do not support a field that refers to general notes. The solution in GedSite 4.01 handles both the Rootsmagic and FH data.