* Where did my family sources (proof of parentage) go?

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
DJY
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Where did my family sources (proof of parentage) go?

Post by DJY »

In Roots Magic, the main individual window shows the spouse and parents and has a place to put sources and notes to these family relationships (see attached screenshot: the checks indicate a source; notes would go in the column to the left but this particular entry doesn't have any notes for spouse & parents). This is where I put documentation that establishes proof of parentage. [In TMG it was parent-child tag but I've gradually been deleting those and using the family notes/sources for new entries....which I'm beginning to think was a mistake.] So, two questions related to this:
  • First the less critical topic: I understand from previous forum posts that FH doesn't have a pre-configured way to mark each parent as proven/disputed/disproven shown in the screenshot. Is this still true in FH7?
  • This is the big one: Does anyone know where all my sources that were linked to the spouse and parents show up in FH7? I don't think they are in the family tab info in the "All" records tab. If there isn't a similar way to attach the source to a family, then I will need to find a way to pull them over to a parent/child or child/parent fact. There are way too many sources and notes (with analysis) for me to manually copy them over. I have no idea how I would do that but I have to find the sources & citations first!
Attachments
parentage.PNG
parentage.PNG (54.11 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Where did my family sources (proof of parentage) go?

Post by tatewise »

The options available hinge on what is feasible in GEDCOM as FH is compliant with that standard.
The FHUG Knowledge Base Recording Credibility of Family Relationships gives the possibilities.

To discover what is imported from the RM GEDCOM may take a little experimentation.
If you have some unique text in the Source Citations being discussed then does FH Edit > Find... reveal them?

Alternatively, create a small RM Project with a few families that have those Source Citations.
Import the GEDCOM into FH and it should be easier to see where they appear in the Records Window tabs.
Also, check the Window > Log Files... for clues.
Post that small GEDCOM file here and those of us more familiar with GEDCOM can investigate.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LeslieP
Diamond

Post by LeslieP »

Just beginning to look at this, but so far, I see that the RM GEDCOM creates 1 NOTE, 1 SOUR, and/or 1 OBJE items under the family 0 @F###@ records. Thus these are notes, sources, and media for the family record, not specifically about a particular child/parent relationship. In RM that's clear, they are called "family notes" and "family sources".

In FH, if I highlight the marriage and thus get the family window, the note shows on the notes tab, sources will show up if you choose sources for <whole record>, the media link does show in the ALL tab, but I'm just looking at a standalone gedcom so didn't import and create any media records to see how that shows up.

All of the info does seem to be there.
Leslie P
Houston, TX
from TMG to RootsMagic to FH7
publish to web via TNG
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Leslie. I suspect it is simply that DJY is unfamiliar with some aspect of FH such as finding Family records.
If RM inserts those Note & Source details in the GEDCOM that way then FH cannot import them anywhere else.
It is governed by what is feasible in GEDCOM and some products cannot translate all their data structures into exactly equivalent GEDCOM structures.

FYI: In GEDCOM/FH terms the Family record as a whole is only about relationships between Husband, Wife & Children.
So any Notes & Sources at the record level are associated with those relationships.
Maybe they need an extra Note to say which of the several relationships they apply to if that is important.
They are quite distinct from Notes & Sources on the Family record facts such as Marriage and Divorce.

If the GEDCOM is imported as a Project then the 1 OBJE LMO you saw on the All tab will become a Media Record that we know all about!
DJY
Platinum

Post by DJY »

You are absolutely correct, Mike. That is the problem! I wasn't able to find it in the All tab because I wasn't using that family icon thing correctly. I didn't realize the colored icon expanded. With the smaller project file, I was better able to figure out what was going on.

Here's how it transfers in through GEDCOM. Source S64 is the one I was looking for. And here's a snapshot of where it ends up. I'm glad it's there but I definitely want to use the parent-child fact rather than this family section!

0 @F2@ FAM
1 HUSB @I4@
1 WIFE @I5@
1 CHIL @I2@
1 SOUR @S64@
2 _TMPLT
3 FIELD
4 NAME Page
2 QUAY 3
2 _QUAL
3 _SOUR O
3 _INFO P
3 _EVID D
2 NOTE Proves that Spencer's wife was named Clary but it does not prove she wa
3 CONC s Clary Shelton, daughter of Daniel.
Attachments
Familysource.PNG
Familysource.PNG (36.25 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There is nothing you can do about the content of the RM GEDCOM and where FH adds those sources to the Project.
I'm not sure what you mean by using the 'parent-child fact'. Are you contemplating creating a Custom Fact called Parent-Child and manually moving the Source Citations from the Family record to those Custom Facts?
Where would that Parent-Child fact exist? In the Family record or in both Individual records of the parents?
Bear in mind that this Family record is defining the Husband, Wife, Children relationships for those named Individuals.
So any record level Source Citation only applies to those specific relationships.
DJY
Platinum

Post by DJY »

Upon further reflection, I've decided that my main issue with the way FH imports RM family citation is the fact that it's in the "All" tab rather than some other screen that's more convenient. I need an easily viewable way to quickly see that I had supporting documentation for parentage. I used the suggestion of the property box caption in the KB link to put a caption that references the witness roles of a ChildParent fact, which is an individual fact for the child that has only 2 witness roles, mother & father. I enter each parent only once I have documentation supporting that particular parent. I then created the caption below, which gives the output shown in the image. It's probably weird but it does what I need it to. Thanks for the link to the KB article!

Individual: %INDI% [=RecordId()] Proven: %INDI.EVEN-CHILDPARENT[1]._SHAR[1]>% Proven: %INDI.EVEN-CHILDPARENT[1]._SHAR[2]>%
Attachments
parent.PNG
parent.PNG (3.13 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FYI: With the Property Box of the Family record displayed, in the yellow pane Sources For: select <whole record> and any Citation is shown.
cwhermann
Famous

Post by cwhermann »

DJY, I know this does not address your specific issue of how to get the I o share you want it, but thought I would share how I handled the documentation of the parent-child relationship and a way to do it in FH7.
In RM7, I had created a custom fact called Parent. This is the only “shared fact” I ever used in RM. I entered the fact in the child’s individual record with defined roles for the parents. This accomplished several things for me.
A fact/event to attached any citation and image that documented the relationship in one spot that was easily accessible.
The ability to run a search for individuals without documented parent child relationships
The ability to create a customizable fact sentence with footnotes for reports.
Created an event in the parents records to reflect the birth of their children. RM7 did not pull the events from other family members as FH does or RM8 now does.

Have not gotten to a detailed check, but as I can tell the shared facts and associated citations all came over just fine. The fact sentences will need to be reworked and I have not run any FH reports to see how it will handle it, but using a fact in FH7 appears to accomplish the primary objective of having an event to attached all the records to.
Curtis Hermann
FH 7.0.15
DJY
Platinum

Post by DJY »

Thank you, Curtis!