* Exporting from Family Historian

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
IreneMo
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Exporting from Family Historian

Post by IreneMo »

I have been having major issues with FH since updating to Catalina and updating Crossover. After various testing and assistance I eventually restored back to a previous backup. Crossover eventually suggested I reverted back to an older version of Crossover 19 but I eventually started to get similar issues where the project file date is set to 1/1/1971. FH advised that the project date reverting is symptomatic of the Gedcom file failing to save so it could be permissions error in Crossover. I've tried raising support ticket with Crossover with no success.

I have eventually lost some work and am concerned I am going to have to go back to a back up of Sept 2020.

I'm now reluctantly after using FH for nearly 30 years considering other options of software for Mac. However, I'm having trouble understanding what is required to ensure that the Media files links are transferred over in the gedcom. I've had to restore from a previous backup but noticed media files aren't transferring over. Currently trialling MacFamilytree. Can anyone advise me on the GEDCOM settings when export to GEDCOM to enable medial file links to be carried out. I have read in your forum that it might be something to do with the _FILE path link but still not sure how to resolve this.

Can anyone advise me or have successfully exported their GEDCOM and media files to another software package.

Thank you so much. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Irene
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Exporting from Family Historian

Post by tatewise »

Irene, I'm sorry you are having problems with FH running under Crossover.
There are several experts here who successfully do so and they may be able to advise how to resolve your problems.

There are also many FH users who successfully export GEDCOM with Media files to various other products.
It is unfortunate that GEDCOM is not as well supported as it should and comes in two flavours v5.5 and v5.5.1.
The _FILE tag issue you mention is one of many potential pitfalls.

The FH File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File... command is unlikely to work for MacFamilyTree.
Setting the Destination: to Family Tree Maker may fix the _FILE tag issue but there will be others.
e.g.
If you use Fact Witnesses or Media Face Frames or certain Date formats then MacFamilyTree won't import them.
See https://www.gedcomassessment.com/en/ass ... tree-9.htm for an assessment of the GEDCOM features supported by MacFamilyTree Version 9.0.10.

The Export Gedcom File Plugin has many more options to customise the exported GEDCOM file.
It has settings for many popular products but not MacFamilyTree so you would have to experiment with its settings to achieve a GEDCOM format that retained as much of your data as possible. I can help with that but as I don't have MacFamilyTree it would involve you needing to understand GEDCOM and how MacFamilyTree handles it.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
IreneMo
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Exporting from Family Historian

Post by IreneMo »

Hi

Thank you for your advice and the GEDCOM link. I'm a novice at understanding GEDCOM but this is a start. Obviously changing from FH is my last resort.

I can already see in review the MFT demo that the "To date", witnesses, custom facts, media files are not supported or are problematic.

I will have one last attempt to see if any experts out there can help me. If not I may need to come back for advice as I need to eventually decide what to do next and take the plunge.

Thanks

Irene