* Exporting to Roots Magic 7

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Exporting to Roots Magic 7

Post by David Potter »

Hi All, Firstly Happy and Safe New year.

I would like to load my FH7 Tree into Roots Magic 7 with an intent to synch this tree with Ancestry. I have tried the Export Gedcom Plug-In but to be honest the results always end up with many duplicated Sources within RM7. Now this could be RM doing this I just don't know. And to be honest I struggle a bit with the options available within the FH Plug-In.

Could someone who does this regularly with success please furnish me with screen shots of the required Plug-In settings. Which include uploading source Media. Thank you.

I would be very grateful.

Best wishes

David
GeneSniper
Superstar

Re: Exporting to Roots Magic 7

Post by GeneSniper »

Happy New Year to you as well David,

These 2 topics in the General Usage section of the forum by ShoshK may be worth looking at as they are dealing with this topic at the moment

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18572
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18549
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I rely on this plug in to send data to people who get in touch with me. I own the full version of RM and Roots Magic has a free version so it is a useful way to share the data I have entered into fh.

In order to help you, I have just used the plug in to export a family tree as a ged com and have opened it in RM 7.
My Roots Magic source list shows no duplicate sources.
I used the plug in Version 4.1 of 14 December with default settings and simply selected the RM option.
Have you updated the plug in?

One thing I did do was to rename the tree "Dummy". My Rootsmagic seemed reluctant to import a gedcom with the name of a gedcom that had already been imported. This appeared to be so even when I added a numeral to the family name to distinguish one gedcom from another.

Like TMG , Roots Magic asks one to identify the source of any Gedcom one is importing. If one opens two similar GEDCOMs, (or repeatedly imports an updated Gedcom to get the ancestry hints), there may well be duplicate sources since genealogy software differentiates between two different Gedcom imports, and the sources sent by one researcher may overlap with sources originating with a different researcher.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I will look into those posts and follow up on those tips.

Best Wishes for the New Year.

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, it would help us all if you could post some examples of your "many duplicated Sources".
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike
I'll try to get something out today. I will need to rebuild the RM database as I deleted it.

David
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Okay - My bad explanation. The SOURCES in RM7 are good and not duplicated. What is a problem is when The Source Citations arrive in Ancestry. There are many duplications with some not even assigned to a Fact.

I think I can explain this:
I now Cite Sources created by AS7 in FH7 against the NAME and WHOLE RECORD, these are not assigned when they reach Ancestry. They appear there as a Source Citation but not attached to anyone or any fact.

In my Do-Over of rekeying my FH6 tree into FH7 I also chose to create an Additional Birth Fact for each Census when the estimated birth Date and/or Place differs between Census records.

As a first step is there a way to turn off the NAME and WHOLE Record within the Export Gedcom Plug-In?

Thank You
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, so to summarise, there is nothing wrong with the Export Gedcom File migration to Roots Magic.
The problem is when using the Roots Magic synchronisation with Ancestry.
That is outside the scope of the Export Gedcom File plugin.

If data needs to be removed from your Project then do that in a Copy of the Project prior to using the plugin.
See Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media under Export to Website Without Sensitive Data and the Clean Unwanted Fields plugin would probably do what you want.

I suggest you contribute to the FH -> RootsMagic -> Ancestry (Work-in-Progress) (18572) thread and discuss any problems there.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Mike.

I'll take a look at those 'Cleaning' Plug-In you mention and I have been reading that Post and will get involved as necessary.

D