* Exporting lead picture only

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Nick792
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Exporting lead picture only

Post by Nick792 »

My FH file contains a large number of pictures. I would like to be able to export just one picture per individual. Is there any way of selecting just the picture labelled as 1 (the one that appears on trees etc) for export?

Thanks

Nick
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Exporting lead picture only

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Nick.

There is no straightforward built-in mechanism for only including the 1st Preference image for each Individual.

However, there is a Plugin that will do it called Clean Unwanted Fields.
To use a Plugin you must have purchased Family Historian. They don't work with the free 30-day Trial version.
Can you please confirm that.

Also the Plugin permanently deletes what you don't want, so must operate on an exported copy of your Project.

It would also be nice to know your objectives for only wanting that subset of images in the export.

Are there other images attached to perhaps Family records or Source records that you might want to exclude?

With the above clarifications I can explain step by step what to do.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Nick792
Silver

Post by Nick792 »

Hello tatewise

Many thanks for your reply. I was wanting to reduce the size of my exported file by excluding most of the media files, except for the primary picture of each individual. However I found I could get reduce the size by creating a zip file of the exported gedcom file and its media.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply!

Nick
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Nick, depending on what you want to do with the exported details you might want to try using:
File > Backup/Restore > Medium Backup (Project File & Project Data Subfolder Only)
That creates a ZIP file of the important Project data excluding the Public folder.

Unless you have an enormous number of saved Books, Charts & Plugin settings, then the bulk of that data is Media and your GEDCOM file. It is just a bit easier than exporting and separately creating a compressed ZIP file.
Nick792
Silver

Post by Nick792 »

Hello Mike

Thanks for that - I'll remember that for next time.

If you are interested, the purpose of the exercise was to import my data and media into GedView on my iPhone.

Best wishes

Nick
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See the thread Best Export Gedcom File Mode to GedView? (16255).

When dealing with other products the Export Gedcom File plugin is usually the best bet.
Otherwise products can get confused by FH custom tags or omit certain standard GEDCOM tag details.
It currently has no specific setting for GedView and I had hoped for more feedback from that earlier posting.
So try the (Std) Standard GEDCOM 5.5 or (Sdr) Standard GEDCOM Draft 5.5.1 modes.