* Where are my TMG Citation References?

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Penny
Family Historian: V6.2

Where are my TMG Citation References?

Post by Penny »

Hi
I am a long time user of TMG and am now looking at transferring to FH. I have a large one-name study with nearly 15000 individuals in it. Whilst the study has imported successfully into FH, I seem to have lost my references.

The way I have inputted source citations into TMG is that I have used the reference field for the exact census or parish register reference. So for a census entry from the 1871 census I have the Source = 1871 Census (so I'm a source lumper by FH definitions); then the citation detail contains a transcript of the household entry for the census. I usually leave the citation memo field blank. Finally the reference field is where I put the census reference eg: RG10/2607 f72 p14

Most of this information seems to have transferred over to FH, but not the reference. Is it hiding somewhere in FH where I haven't looked? If it really hasn't come over, can anyone who has already made a similar move from TMG to FH with a large project suggest any changes I could make in TMG so that the reference comes over to FH in a sensible place? Would putting the reference in the citation memo field in TMG help?

Many thanks for any help you can give.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Where are my TMG Citation References?

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Penny.

See how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers with links to how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian with TMG advice and also links to glossary:sources|> Source Records with advice about Citations.

The simplest way to find text is to use the Edit > Find command.
Try searching for a sample Reference such as RG10/2607 f72 p14 and see what gets listed.
Select an entry and click Locate in Property Box.

Data associated with Citations may be easier to see in the Property Box if you click the yellow scroll Show Sources icon.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Penny
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Penny »

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your quick reply. I tried doing as you suggested and did edit > find and put in my census reference. Nothing was found. I presume that this means that the references have not transferred to FH, which is a major pain.
Any suggestions?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Presumably, you used the direct Import TMG Project method rather than via a GEDCOM file?

If so, then it seems that FH is not migrating that Reference field for some reason.
Almost certainly using the Memo field would work.
Try an experiment with a handful changed to see whether that works.

I had hoped that some TMG migrants would have offered some advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

The non-transfer of the TMG Citation Reference field has been discussed in the past at great length on at least 2 occasions - do a Search on this forum for 'citation reference' and you'll find them.

Don